Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Prosumer DLSRs with video capture

Old 10-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Prosumer DLSRs with video capture

Seems like the newest feature trends for DSLRs are video capture and live view....I can't see myself using either of these....
Old 10-14-2009, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live view is useful in some situations. I use it here and there for rig-shots, but that's about it. Video? Meh. You'll play with it once or twice, but no one is going to tell you it's a deal-breaker. You want video? Buy a video camera (IMO).
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't weight it into my next buying decision but I could see using it. If I'm out and about with my dSLR I'm probably not carrying a Flip or other camcorder (and vice versa). There are times when a movie captures the moment better than a photo (like when your buddy is being stupid and you can see it coming!).

Live view, if it has a histogram, will save time by showing my blow-outs and dead shadows before I snap the shutter and have to chimp the result.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 AM
IMP

I can see using it myself. I have a video degree and a separate camera, but being able to do both with good quality, I'd rock it. I played with a friend 5DmII and it's pretty seamless.

As a photographer and videographer, it makes me a bit happy. Because now, I can use various photographic lenses and don't need a video camera that starts at $20K that accepts different lenses (and the lenses on top of that). The creativity allowed by that coupled with the small form function and ease of portability (and being able to use lenses I already have....) is nothing but a win in my book.

Live view: Ever attempt take a shot over a crowd, trying to frame the shot, while zoomed in? Without live view, it's neigh impossible to get it right rather quickly.

When shooting video, it allows one to see the shot, becuase you're now going to hypothetically be panning/tilting/etc... the camera, and you can't always be looking through the viewfinder.

--kC
Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. Even though my camera has it.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On new 7D but Nope I wont be using it. Jeff can see you using it though.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see some limited uses to both as others have said. Less of the video, but live view is useful in some situations, and can help you frame some shots of otherwise photo-phobic family members.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:01 PM

i can definitely see using it...i was just talking about this before..i mean the main reason why you buy a camera is to take pictures, but its kinda cool if you can take video with the fish eye lens and not have to worry about buying a video camera...

strapping the camera to the roll cage and video'ing a run through a time attack would be kinda nice