Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Somtimes it is a lucky shot

Old 01-29-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somtimes it is a lucky shot

Though I would see if I could get a thread started on how some pure luck improved a photo.

This is a shot I took, nothing special
Old 01-29-2007, 11:13 AM

I have one from Monte Carlo - the shot I was waiting for was of the Loews Hairpin without any traffic on.

Then this came round and I was panic, point, squirt and hope!

Turned out ok
Old 01-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hale,Jan 29 2007, 08:13 PM
panic, point, squirt and hope!
I have a photo like that, but it is not suitable to post here
Old 01-29-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked through some of my favorites but the none of the framings were "lucky." I did blindly stumble across a RAW (NEF) conversion process, pure luck playing with settings, that gives me a super-saturated industrial look I really wanted. Like cross-processing but fewer color inversions.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:17 PM

this was taken this summer on the 4th of july in philadelphia. i have fews others from that nihgt but none with the well definded bolts

Link to full size
Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, this is more of a screw up. I was shooting in Shutter Priority (won't do that again) and focused on the headlights:

It was actually mid-day, but the photo looks like late evening - I like it.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:03 AM

Here are two examples

The image below was taken while covering the 2004 GP of Canada. The circuit was closed and the cars had just arrived the day before, and I was in the hairpin scouting for some good vantage points from where to shoot the cars over the next 3 days when I heard an engine! I couldn't believe there was a car on the circuit before open practice so I frantically tried to remove the wide angle I had mounted and switch it out for my Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and EF 2X II extender to the 10D.... So here comes this Ferrari, I'm totally not ready, I don't want to get any of the empty seats or fence in the shot so I hook my right foot under the seat in front of me and extend my body as far out as I could and snap off a quick shot as he started to opposite lock the wheel on exit while throttle oversteering... It was so cool and my left ear still hurts to this day!

But what I didn't notice what he was doing when he accelerated out of the turn towards me.. I thought he was reaching for a tear-off sheet on his helmet, but there were no other cars out so there would be no oil... Why did he have his dominant steering hand out of the cockpit????

Look at the image... I was the only person in grandstand 24.

Fast forward to 2006 Grand Prix of Canada

Not on assignment for anyone, but visiting the race with my S2ki buddies in the NY Metro chapter when I capture Michael not once, but 2 times looking over his left shoulder as he apexes turning to the RIGHT! Now, I worked for them for 5 years and even though I have stood less than 10 feet from him, he has no idea who I am, but not once, but two times I caught him looking over his opposite shoulder and tracking my lens when turning.... Weird! Maybe the huge lens threw him off? LOL (only kidding. Most likely he was looking into the onboard camera mounted in the mirror, but I can dream can't I???

Old 01-30-2007, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by F1-Fanatic,Jan 30 2007, 08:03 AM
That is too cool! What a great photo!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by F1-Fanatic,Jan 30 2007, 08:03 AM
Here are two examples

The image below was taken while covering the 2004 GP of Canada. The circuit was closed and the cars had just arrived the day before, and I was in the hairpin scouting for some good vantage points from where to shoot the cars over the next 3 days when I heard an engine! I couldn't believe there was a car on the circuit before open practice so I frantically tried to remove the wide angle I had mounted and switch it out for my Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and EF 2X II extender to the 10D.... So here comes this Ferrari, I'm totally not ready, I don't want to get any of the empty seats or fence in the shot so I hook my right foot under the seat in front of me and extend my body as far out as I could and snap off a quick shot as he started to opposite lock the wheel on exit while throttle oversteering... It was so cool and my left ear still hurts to this day!

But what I didn't notice what he was doing when he accelerated out of the turn towards me.. I thought he was reaching for a tear-off sheet on his helmet, but there were no other cars out so there would be no oil... Why did he have his dominant steering hand out of the cockpit????

Look at the image... I was the only person in grandstand 24.

Fast forward to 2006 Grand Prix of Canada

Not on assignment for anyone, but visiting the race with my S2ki buddies in the NY Metro chapter when I capture Michael not once, but 2 times looking over his left shoulder as he apexes turning to the RIGHT! Now, I worked for them for 5 years and even though I have stood less than 10 feet from him, he has no idea who I am, but not once, but two times I caught him looking over his opposite shoulder and tracking my lens when turning.... Weird! Maybe the huge lens threw him off? LOL (only kidding. Most likely he was looking into the onboard camera mounted in the mirror, but I can dream can't I???

All I can say you're the Norm!!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 AM

Here's a couple from the days of film that I didn't see untill I got back to the lab

I didn't even see this happen as you can't see through the viewfinder when the mirror is up

here's another I didn't even know I had till I got back, during a relay