Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Trying to improve our photo contests.....

Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of us are still around.

This month was especially tough for me to even just have time to check in on here let alone get a chance to shoot, and I was the one to try and get it kick-started again!

I feel as though showing entries ahead of time shouldn't be an issue since you are free to change it up until the last day. Also showing the entries allows others to perhaps get some inspiration they otherwise wouldn't have had, thus providing more competition.

If it would be a help, I can always whip up a quick webpage for voting that would allow for one vote per person. I could even weight the votes somewhat (perhaps 1.5x) for those who have submitted an entry, giving people more incentive to enter a photo?

And hey Gary, we should get some DelVal/metro guys together for a golfing/photog trip. Could make for some interesting shots if we can find a course that's not too busy to have to rush setups. If you can stand to play with me and my real woods again.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:31 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

I think next month's competition should a fashion shoot with your iPhone.

Kidding aside, I think stickying a thread is a kiss of death. I always seem to skip over those and know a lot of other people do, too. Plus, this subforum seems to have a ton of stickies which makes it even more difficult to notice.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sticky them so people don't have to sift around looking for the thread.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:16 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Yea, I know it's a love/hate thing. It makes total sense, but for some reason -- and you can see from participation -- the stickied threads get ignored.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think they are ignoring the sticky, I think they are ignoring the contest.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe not a contest but share a topic and you photographic interpretation
I like having 12 contests maybe the image need be photographed in that month
July= sunset
August= Heat
September= Schools
October = change of season
November = Elections/ political
December = Family
January = New Beginnings
Feb....

With the economy being chit for months I really dont want chitticism and dont want to be judged. I need positive
Do I really love photography, how else can I make living?