Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Trying to take nice pics...

Old 09-19-2006, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to take nice pics...

hi guys,

on the website of our tuningclub, we're trying to make some nice repo's of some cars.
I'm not a professional, but I'd like to get some advise... let me know what you think about these pics...
grtz,
Dries

ps. no photoshop was involved in this stage...
Old 09-19-2006, 03:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Light is not good on the first pic and second pic would look better as landscape.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Both pics would need the horizon fixed in PS also.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like both images but they could each fill the frame more with the car. In the first one just get closer, move your camera lower if you still have to include the skylight itself.

in the first pic if you move ever so slightly to your right you can even out where the background diagonal lines intersect the car. I now this sort of stuff is really hard to do with small viewfinders, even on a tripod.

In the second the bottom area is too large for my taste. Personally I like the dynamic angles in the 2nd pic. The car stance looks odd, maybe some weight in the trunk?

If you carry around a collapsable reflector (e.g. Photoflex makes a Multidisc I like) you could throw some more light onto the wheels in the 2nd pic, otherwise some on-camera fill-flash would work too.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:06 AM

thanks for the comments guys.... interesting to read your thoughts about these things. Seems that everybody is looking at different aspects hu?
One thing i want to discuss, you're all talking about more filling the picture with "car"... but one thing we were bored off, is that there's too much focus on the car, and not on the environment.
So we're doing our best to put the car in a nice environment, and get it on the picture as well... becauase otherwise it wouldn't be an extra value for the picture if you fill the pic completely with the car.
Am I still making any sense?

But I do understand the remark about the bottom area that's too large and the diagonal lines to mate the car on the same height...

ps. the second car doens't have extra weight in the trunk, the adjustable coilovers seem to be uneven lowering the car. I believe he needs the space in the fron to enter his garage... he's putting the car on airride very soon, so new pics will be really slammed i guess