Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

What Canon should I get?

Old 07-31-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default What Canon should I get?

Hey all, I want to buy a DSLR, and frankly, I haven't been paying attention.

My budget is $1000 for the body and I'm leaning towards Cannon because my film SLR and kit is all Canon. My plan is to get the digital body and use the film SLR lenses I already have until I can buy quality digital lenses. What are your thoughts on:

Canon vs Nikon - should I really go for the Nikon?

Is it a waste of my time to use the film SLR lenses interim?

What really is the better camera to get (for my price range)? I went with Canon originally because my school had Canon equipment for checkout and I could get my hands on all kinds of goodies, but I'm not married to the brand - I really want a quality camera and good burst capability, especially in low-light conditions, so I want to get a fast lens quickly as well.

Also, all my cards are SD if that matters.

Thanks,
Old 07-31-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your price range, and since you already have Canon lenses, I'd look for a 30D body.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:30 PM

Which lenses do you already have? You mention upgrading to "digital quality lenses", there aren't many that are specific for digital, and seems like the best in the Canon line up (mostly) are NOT digital specific. The 10-22 Ef-S is a digital only lens and its great, but I wouldn't say it trumps either version of the 16-35 (the equivalent if you lose the multiplier).

Best advice I can give you without knowing you or what you want to shoot, handle them both (for your price range I'd think 30D for Canon and D80 for Nikon) and see which feels better. Personally, of those two I think the Canon has the advantage, but I'm biased, I shoot with a 30D. I know there's several D80 fans here that will probably tell you to go the other way, truly I don't think you can make a bad decision with either one.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 PM

30D is a good choice.

Going to need CF cards, but they are cheap, SD will not work unless you buy a 1D.

What lens do you currently have?

40D is rumored in the next two months, with minimal upgrades over the 30D, so the price of 30D will keep dropping.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 PM

Used 20D and put the extra money aside towards L glass. Other than the larger LCD and ISO adjustments in one-third stops, the 30D doesn't offer much for the prosumer photographer.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, your existing lenses tip the scales without a whole lot of debate. Canon.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Jul 31 2007, 04:58 PM
To me, your existing lenses tip the scales without a whole lot of debate. Canon.
I'd agree depending on the lens lineup. If you have 1 or 2 lenses that are older and slightly malfunctioning, or you are unhappy with, it shouldn't weigh in. However, if you have a lens or two that you can't imagine parting with, Canon no question.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:36 PM

Only oddballs go with Nikon, get Canon for its better high ISO performance. with your existing Canon lenses should help making your decision whole lot easier.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I like to shoot outdoor mostly - acrhitecture, wildlife, sports, so I need fast burst, fast write speed and fast lenses. I prefer to shoot candid rather than staged, so I want a camera that I can quickly set up for shots as conditions change.

I was under the impression film lenses are not accurate on DSLRs, but maybe that's something that can be compensated. If so, I have Canon equipment already.

As for mp size, I'm not picky, but I want t he option to make large prints of nice shots.

I really liked my Canon EOS Elan IIe - I loved the thumb scroll and the controls were intuitive for making adjustments on the fly. My lenses are all about 7 years old though, so I worry about technology and their age.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jul 31 2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I like to shoot outdoor mostly - acrhitecture, wildlife, sports, so I need fast burst, fast write speed and fast lenses. I prefer to shoot candid rather than staged, so I want a camera that I can quickly set up for shots as conditions change.

I was under the impression film lenses are not accurate on DSLRs, but maybe that's something that can be compensated. If so, I have Canon equipment already.

As for mp size, I'm not picky, but I want t he option to make large prints of nice shots.

I really liked my Canon EOS Elan IIe - I loved the thumb scroll and the controls were intuitive for making adjustments on the fly. My lenses are all about 7 years old though, so I worry about technology and their age.
Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure one of the top performers in the Canon line (24-70 2.8L) is essnentially a 20 year old design. Pretty sure it was launched as the 28-70 in the early 90's with a minor makeover giving it the extra 4 mm on the wide end a few years back.

My interpretation is lenses and lens technology hasn't made huge strides. That's the reason there's such high resale on them. You buy a new camera and a new lens today, in 18 months one is going to be worth peanuts (compared to the purchase price) while the other will have depreciated 10%. New camera's are CONSTANTLY coming out, seems like new lenses trickle out every now and then.

If you are happy with your lenses on your Elan odds are you will be with your 30D (or whatever you go with). The only thing to consider is the digital "crop" that effectively multiplies the focal length by 1.6. Great for long range, not so great for the wide angle.