Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

What digital camera do you guys take pictures with?

Old 01-12-2003, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice nice.. I like them
Old 01-12-2003, 10:35 PM

I've been using a Canon 'G2' (with add-on Tele lens) since October and I simply love using it!!

However, most of my shots are @ 1024x768....which is great for uploading to the Net, but not for printing. What resolution do I need to take @, in order to print standard photo sized pictures?

It took a while, but twas some interesting reading....I will certainly be buying a 'compact flash reader' - thanks for the advice guys!!

Cheers....
Old 01-13-2003, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aussie_ITR-0239
[B]I've been using a Canon 'G2' (with add-on Tele lens) since October and I simply love using it!!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

The only trouble with jpeg compression is that there is a loss in quality even if you can't see it initially and the loss is progressive. In other words, every time you open and close the stored image from your hard drive, the image degrades a little further. The image isn't going to disintegrate in front of your eyes, but over time it can make a difference.

Actually every time you open them and then SAVE them again you degrade the image. You can open a jpg and view it but as long as you don't re-save it the file remains as it was.

If you guys shoot jpgs always convert them to tiffs if you plan to do any work on the image. Best bet is as Cedrick says is to shoot in Tiff or even better RAW format.

As for printing I suggest converting the file in Photoshop to a 300-400 DPI Tiff and sizing it to 6.5" X 9". This will give you a perfect 1" border when you print on standard letter size (8.5" X 11") paper. Sort of a poor man's mat job. It looks much more formal than printing right to the edge of the frame.

On last thing, EVERY digital Photo will be GREATLY enhanced by some simple processing through Photoshop. Just by doing "Auto-Levels, Color and Contrast" and some subtle un-sharp mask you will be amazed at how much better your image will look. If you have any ambitions for serious digital photography photoshop is a MUST.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:18 AM

I have lots of excellent pictures you can use it as a Background for your windows if you want, i will post it soooon

Powered By Nikon Coolpix 995 with 1024 X 768 Res.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]

One last thing, EVERY digital Photo will be GREATLY enhanced by some simple processing through Photoshop.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:29 AM

What exactly is the benefit of saving in RAW format? Should I save everything as RAW or just photos I intend to print?
Old 01-13-2003, 07:18 AM

Without getting too technical about it, when you save an image in RAW format, it is not subject to processing in the camera after the shot is taken. The resulting shot is uncompressed, and is significantly smaller because less processing information is recorded in the shot. All the basic essential information is recorded though. It's really aimed at the more serious photographer as you do need to be able to 'process' your shots afterwards to obtain the best results. This brings us right back around to becoming familiar with Photoshop etc.

The benefits are massive in file size and in image quality, but a little more commitment from the photographer is definitely needed.

If you want to understand a little more about it then ....http://www.colorshots.com/cs101e/html/tipps_raw.html
Old 01-13-2003, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the advice Cedric.T - I knew I was under utilising my G2....but as I have not printed any shots yet, it was not fully apparent!

I think I'll start shooting @ the higher resolutions - at least 1,600x1,200 - but my next question is what level of compression do people suggest for JPG? Currently for my 1024x768, I've been using the 'medium' compression.

If I start taking @ the higher res - then I'm sure gonna need a bigger storage capability, than the 32 + 64 Mb C/F cards I currently have. May be I should get a 1 Gb IBM 'micro drive'....has any one had experience with these?!

Oh, I may be under utilising my G2.... but at least I am using Adobe 'Photoshop'! Which (as everyone agrees) is fantastic for correcting photos etc and usually the 'Auto Levels' does a damn good job!

Cheers....
Old 01-13-2003, 05:41 PM

Aussie.

OK me old didgeridoo!

Storage cards are cheapo now and I just heard the 1 gig storage card is virtually here, Micro drives are still expensive, they have moving parts... which a card doesn't, so more potential problems. I personally wouldn't go that route. For all that money micro drives are often slower than cards too. CF cards are cheap if you shop around on the web. That's the way I'd go for now.

Quick Reply: What digital camera do you guys take pictures with?