Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Charge the Park!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charge the Park!

Hi Everyone,

Recently, I was in Jasper National Park for the standard summer weekend vacation of camping and doing all things Jasper including whitewater rafting, tramway, Coco's Coffee and of course the Bear Paw Bakery...

As fun as that was I was driving our charming and incredibly reliable 2002 Chevrolet Tracker as it easily has a bit more space for camping and I'm sure you all know the story.

In previous years the roads around Jasper where bumpy and full of fifth wheel holiday trailers but now due to the government's economic stimulus plan (aka your money being spent) Jasper now has beautiful black ribbons of incredibly smooth and glorious roads to drive on.

One road in particular caught my attention and that is the road to Mount Edith Cavalle. For those of you familiar with it needs no introduction. It used to be bumpy as hell and with as many switchbacks as you could want. Now it has retained all of the good stuff (switchbacks, elevation changes, sweeping corners, amazing scenery) and got rid of the bumpy as hell part. Did I mention that when I went up the road at about 8:30am it was completely devoid of anyone else!

Overall, moral of the story is to gauge interest in getting a few folks together to take their toys out to Jasper and enjoy some scenery and beautiful roads. I propose the weekend of September 25/26 to CHARGE THE PARK! Of course there are a few other destinations in Jasper that would be great to drive as well. We can work on those later, in the meantime anyone interested?

Any later than September and there is a good chance the roads could have snow on them which doesn't mix well with me at least. Of course co drivers and pilots and friends and everyone else is all welcome to join in on the fun too!

Thoughts?
Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Hey Andrew,

I drove up that mountain last Saturday, left our campsite just up the road at Wabasso at 8:45am and didn't see anyone either.

Part of the road up to Miette Hot Springs is a pleasure to drive as well.

Was fun going camping with the S, I'd definitely do it again! Though we had to eat out everywhere and only used the campsite for sleeping..

We've got a thread of really awesome drives on our Subie forums. Have a look at that as well!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 PM

I think this is a fab idea! I have even provisionally convinced my fiancee (but who will be, by the time that drive is scheduled, be my wife!) to come along too!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 AM

please provide google map to spark more interest
Old 08-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rock that if free (cant tell yet)

Day trip or ?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:51 PM

YEGGT:
Thanks for showing some support on how much fun some roads in Jasper National Park really can be! I've been trying to convinvce the fiancee to go camping in the S but as you noted not a lot of room for a cooler for food items! Hopefully, you can make it out for another jaunt, as well I'm not too familiar with the Soobie forums. What is the address for the Soob forums with the aforementionned great drives?

Saaboteur:
Great to hear you are going to make it out, I am going to try to get a bit more of schedule lined up with a few different drives in Jasper and will keep you updated!

Wildo:
I did some research on this road and believe it or not it doesn't show on Google Maps...it's that good OK, just kidding, google knows everything. I'm the first to admit that I am terrible with photoshop and all things picture editing, so bear with me. The road is just south of the turn off to go up to Marmot Basin. I've outlined the start of the road and will leave the rest up to you to find out if it sparks your interest enough! I think it will but thats me.

The blue line shows the start of the road to Mount Edith Cavell, the rest of the road has a few less hair pins but tons of elevation change and genuine fun.

Coldrsx:
I'm not sure whether or not this would be a full weekend or not? I would be up for making it a full weekend of great drives around the park. I propose the following schedule:

Saturday Sept. 25, 10:00 AM meet outside of Edmonton

2:00 PM Arrive in Jasper,

2-3:30 PM Grab Lunch

3:30 - ? Head up an alternative route

6:00 - Have dinner and retire to Pub/Hotel/Camp Site etc. - Accomodations will be up individuals to organize.

Sunday Sept. 26, 8:00 AM, meet in Train Station Parking Lot

8: 15 AM CHARGE the Park/Canadian Dragon!

9:15 Meet at top Parking Lot for Photoshoot

9:45 Either Head back down, do a quick hike to view the glaciers

10:30 go back up again...just kidding, tackle another drive (I'm all ears)

1:00 PM finish last drive, head back to Edmonton/home

I must stress this is a very tenative schedule.

My goal of organizing this event is to simply get some good people together with some good cars and have a good time. There are more than enough "meet" threads going on and I hope with some solid organization from me we will be able to enjoy a great weekend!

Next questions!

Andrew
Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 AM

Great job on the pre planning Andrew.
This will surely be good times.
Is last week of September too late? Wouldn't the sun set too early and be much cooler in the daytimes compared to early September?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:42 PM

If I remember right, it was about mid-late September last year when a few of us drove down from Edmonton to meet the Calgary folks, and then we all drove out to Cochrane, and then Canmore. Wasn't too bad. It's definitely cooler in the mountains than in the cities.

I have ordered a GoPro HD camera. I want to give it a try in the car!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would be up for this, as long as my practice schedule for my tournament in Vegas in early October doesn't land on this weekend! I too could borrow my buddies gopro and maybe we could combine some footage and make a nice lil video out of!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by saaboteur,Aug 17 2010, 02:42 PM
If I remember right, it was about mid-late September last year when a few of us drove down from Edmonton to meet the Calgary folks, and then we all drove out to Cochrane, and then Canmore. Wasn't too bad. It's definitely cooler in the mountains than in the cities.

I have ordered a GoPro HD camera. I want to give it a try in the car!
That was sept long weekend monday which worked out perfectly!

but i'm totally down for this!

Quick Reply: Charge the Park!