Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Hardtop plus winter tires or winter beater plus winter tires

Old 09-27-2002, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop plus winter tires or winter beater plus winter tires

Considering a hardtop cost as much as a somewhat decent winter beater...

Having a heck of a time finding a decent winter beater and it's almost Oct
Old 09-27-2002, 07:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't know about Edmonchuck but it snowed here and it's still hanging around right now.
I'm a little biased as you've already figured out since I've got the HT and the snow tires. If you go the beater route and get a FWD with fairly decent (good tread) all season radials, you should be able to get by without snow tires. 99% of all FWD cars around here do.
It's your call. You seem to NOT mind NOT driving the S even in summer so NOT driving it in winter should be no different except that the S is one of the most adept 2WD winter cars you can find.
It has a great heater. Will your beater?
It has ABS. Will your beater?
It will most likely start even on the coldest day. Will your beater?
Your S will most likely never crap out and leave you stranded. What about a beater?
Once you learn how to drive a RWD in snow, you'll be in a "happy" place. Will you be in your beater?
The S is a balanced car designed for handling. These characteristics will be transferred to winter conditions. Will your beater handle?
You'll need to keep the S clean (especially the underside). Will you care with the beater?
You might get into a "mishap" in winter more easily than in summer. With the beater, will you care?
You may worry every time you drive out there with the S. Will you with a beater?
Decisions, decisions!? Ain't life a beach?
Old 09-27-2002, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am taking the hardtop + Blizzaks option. My S will not be a garage queen, I hate high maintenance girls anyway Why be deprived of candy for 6 months.

Driving a RWD in snow and ice will take some getting use to, plan to do some snow x-cross in empty mall parking lots before hitting the real roads. I am just going to tool from work to home and back again so it wouldn't be too bad. For those evenings and weekends where i have to go far, the rents Accord will do the duty.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isnt the S a very light car??? im used to driving a cruiser in the winter...its heavy and got more power.... will i have problems because the S is light and loaded with power???

s2000
Old 11-10-2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by hondafreak
isnt the S a very light car??? im used to driving a cruiser in the winter...its heavy and got more power.... will i have problems because the S is light and loaded with power???

s2000
This car can weigh over 3000 lbs. with a full tank and driver. It is not a lightweight. Think about how all those little RWD Chevettes can make it all through the toughest winters. In this town, I'd say we've got more Miatas running around all winter than you can shake a stick at. It's not the car's weight that's the problem. It's owners who haven't figured out that SNOW tires are essential.
As for the power, that's not the issue either. Power can be modulated through clutch/throttle control. You don't have to use it all.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:20 PM

Dave, you must have very good feel to not spin the tires on start up. Anytime there is a lot of snow and ice, I spin a bit on start up.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by FormerH22a4
Dave, you must have very good feel to not spin the tires on start up. Anytime there is a lot of snow and ice, I spin a bit on start up.
I don't wish to sound like I'm bragging but, on the most part, I can take off with very little to no tire slippage. However, I don't do this usually because it's just easier to spin a bit and control the resultant "slight" step out accordingly. Sometimes, I feel that making it spin initially is a bit "kinder" to the clutch as opposed to slipping the clutch for a prolonged distance just to get going. I don't do it if there is a possibility of throwing up a rock into the car behind me.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:30 PM

yes, spinning wouldbe easier on the equipment. I tend not to modulate it too much since I don't want to lug the engine on the start.