S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Prairie Redliners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/prairie-redliners-71/)
-   -   used car lot (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/prairie-redliners-71/used-car-lot-314949/)

Seks 08-19-2005 10:43 AM

used car lot

Have any of you out there had one of your cars sold to a used car lot? Is it a hassle and what kind of ballpark pricing do they typicall give you?

As you all know, my car has been on the market for a while but I haven't been pushing it to actually sell it but I"m starting to get serious now.

How about HOnda dealerships?

koala 08-19-2005 11:40 AM

I would never put a car like the S2000 on a consignment lot. It'll get trashed.

A dealer is a waste of time unless you're trading in. They'll never give you close to what it's worth otherwise

xviper 08-19-2005 12:57 PM

My experience is not with an S2000 and it was many, many years ago.
You have some choices.
You can "consign" it to a car lot and agree to whatever terms you can compromise on. It's a "contract", so it's whatever you can get, whatever they can get. You state the number of days they can have it, what you will get out of it for money regardless of the selling price, what you will accept as a bottom line and what they get in commission, etc. Any and all details can be put in the contract.
You can also just sell it to them outright, however, this tends to be a "bottom of the barrel", sometimes LESS than blackbook price. You agree on the price, they agree to buying it, you hand over the car and declare whatever is still owing on it, they hand you a check and you part company.
Since you are having a hard time getting what you want for it, this might be an indication to you what you will encounter at the used car lot. You won't get anything near what you are hoping for. If your asking price was commensurate with the marketplace, you would have sold it. The only hope of a dealer buying your car is at a price where they think they can sell it for a decent profit in that same marketplace you've been trying in. They will also have to pay you less for the possibility they may have to sit on it for an unknown period of time. Their money and time and space costs them money.

4doorj 08-19-2005 01:08 PM

if someone wants a s2000 they are not going to a used car lot... easier if u just keep posting it on canada trader or something...
posting it on beyond never works...
it is very hard especially to sell at this time of the year

kenny 08-20-2005 08:11 PM

If you are serious about selling your vehicle you have to price it based on the current market value. Looking at the average price of s2000's on autotrader and pricing it BELOW that value would be a good start as most people on autotrader are asking too much.

I just picked up a MY02 with 25000 km's and paid less than what people are asking for on their MY00 with much more mileage.

There are two problems with posting a vehicle like this for sale on beyond and expecting to get what you want: 1) Most people on beyond have no $ to buy vehicles and are just enthusiasts that want to chat about cars. 2) The people who DO have money on beyond know what a car is worth and more often than not it is usually lower than a sellers asking price.

Do the homework, put yourself in the buyers perspective and your car should be sold in no time.

xviper 08-20-2005 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by kenny,Aug 20 2005, 09:11 PM
and are just enthusiasts that want to chat about cars.

Hmmmm, I always thought it was predominantly young people with lots of hair on their palms. :p

Seks 08-21-2005 12:16 AM

Kenny: 2002 GPW? Is that an S from the states?

Anyhow, I dropped by one used car lot dealership and one Honda dealership.

Even though sales manager said my car is mint, Honda dealership is only willing to give me $25xxx because they are expecting to have the car sit through winter on the lot. So what they're doing is looking at the 01 value, which is how they come up with that #. A friend of mine, who drives an NSX, was also with me and we both though that number is just ridiculous.

As for the used car lot, seems like the guy is willing to give MUCH more.

4doorj 08-21-2005 12:21 AM

25 is rediculous... i was thinking about upgrading to a 04... they were going to take mine in for 25500... mines older with more kms....

if u can.. store it through the winter and sell in the spring! easier to sell

kenny 08-21-2005 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Seks,Aug 21 2005, 01:16 AM
Kenny: 2002 GPW? Is that an S from the states?

Even though sales manager said my car is mint, Honda dealership is only willing to give me $25xxx because they are expecting to have the car sit through winter on the lot.

Yep, just got back from purchasing my S from the states. That is why I didnt get back to you regarding the ad :)

25 is a bit low for a 2002. I would think if everything is in mint condition (aside from minor rock chips and tiny door dings) 28k would be fair for a 2002.

I don't know about holding onto the car until next spring though. The same scenario was around last year. Prices dropped during winter and many people waited until spring to sell their vehicles in hopes that the market price would recover--it didn't.

LUV2REV 08-21-2005 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by kenny,Aug 21 2005, 01:56 AM
25 is a bit low for a 2002. I would think if everything is in mint condition (aside from minor rock chips and tiny door dings) 28k would be fair for a 2002.

$28K is way too low for an 02' (most mid - higher mileage 00's still sell for this). I have not seen one 02' priced this low regardless of condition and mileage. $35K is probably more like it. You cannot compare a car purchased south of the border with local market fair in terms of pricing. It is a good time to buy a car in the U.S due to our resurgent dollar, resale is generally more difficult with a U.S. car up here however. $28K would be a steal for an 02'.