S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

#$%! stupid tonneau cover

Old 11-20-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default #$%! stupid tonneau cover

So, I have been trying to get this damn OEM Tonneau cover fit, but am having issues with fitment around the rear where the tabs go. I can't seem to get it seated and properly fitted. I have applied some heat with a heat gun to make it more malleable, but no joy. Anyone have some good tips to get it properly fitted??
Old 11-20-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I had mine on one (1) time. PITA to put on, take off, and store. Fills the trunk so it's in the shed.

I rarely leave the roof down when not driving. Car is a leaf magnet this time of year and a pine needle magnet and bird poop magnet all the time.

-- Chuck
Old 11-20-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I had mine on one (1) time. PITA to put on, take off, and store. Fills the trunk so it's in the shed.

I rarely leave the roof down when not driving. Car is a leaf magnet this time of year and a pine needle magnet and bird poop magnet all the time.

-- Chuck
Yeah..Mine is going into storage/ build mode. I bought it to clean up the back and also picked up a cockpit cover. I am thinking I just might buy a hard tonneau...
Old 11-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I do install mine occasionally if I do a daylong type trip but your soft top needs to close properly to install the tonneau or else it will not clip in the roll hoop pins.

I would check to make sure your elastic straps are in proper form. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I needed modifry straps to cinch down the top better to get my tonneau to fit. Easy to install in 30 seconds...when its warm.

darcy
Old 11-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Make sure the top fully retracted (make sure elastic straps are good and the mid bar is retracted). Start with attaching the elastic straps of the tonneau and once those are done, work your way towards the center with attaching the other retainers. You'll need to guide the retainers with your arm underneath the tonneau while pushing it away from the interior plastics just enough so you can see what you're doing. Once those are all seated fully, then you can begin stuffing the back edge into the soft top moulding; start outside and work inward. You will then need to stuff the plastic tabs up under the moulding. Once they are partially inserted, you'll need to give the top a slap or two to fully seat them and ensure they stay inserted.

Once you've gotten the procedure down after doing it a few times, it's pretty easy to take on and off. My biggest issue is that it takes up so much of the trunk that I only use it if I intend to leave the top down for an extended period (day drive).
Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Its not really the front that has given me the issues, but am definitely thankful for the tips and will be incorporating them. It is around the outside of the back where I can't seem to get it to align with and stay fitted under. I am guessing the change in temperature might be part of it that is why I tried the heat gun.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And the center support bar is properly folded under the fabric folds?
Shouldn't be too difficult. Definitely don't try to force it, but maybe first check the top's frame is working properly?
Old 01-05-2018, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by BadgerS2000
And the center support bar is properly folded under the fabric folds?
Shouldn't be too difficult. Definitely don't try to force it, but maybe first check the top's frame is working properly?
Definitely will check. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Other than a cold top, the proper seating of the folded top is always a show stopper.

For removal, I have a hard time getting my hand in there to pull on the release button. I found using a car plastic trim removal tool (HF) works great.

Quick Reply: #$%! stupid tonneau cover