S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Advice for replacing/painting front bumper cover

Old 10-15-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Advice for replacing/painting front bumper cover

My silverstone S2k has a bit of deep scuff damage and spider webbing on the front bumper cover. I have taken it to three shops and gotten estimates of $1000, $1000, and $1700. The first two were to replace the front bumper cover with OEM and paint to match. The third shop, the $1700 dollar estimate, wants to rework the existing bumper cover (lots o labor) AND blend it about a foot into the quarter panels and hood which sounds excessive to me. The way it was explained to me is that the bumper cover is on the same plane as the rest of the car and needs to be blended in. It makes sense but I can't believe people who replace their bumper covers with after market models have them blended in and I think it is asking for trouble with silverstone.

Just curious what your experience has been if you have replaced your bumper cover and had it painted.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

$1000 seems a bit high for a new bumper and respray, but I guess it depends on your area. $700-$800 seems more reasonable but it's not that far off.
What about a combination of those offers? (Buying a new OEM bumper then blending the other panels.) Reworking an existing bumper is more work than just buying a new one, preppin, and painting.

Without blending there is a bigger chance you'll notice the differences between panels. Esp on Silverstone. For peace of mind I'd go with the blending, but that's just me.
I've had panels repainted without blending, but I have non-metallic Berlina Black which is much more forgiving with repaints. They say white and black in general can do without blending.
May seem like overkill, but IMO blending is the best way to ensure the new paint matches your factory paint from 16+ years ago.

Interested to hear some other opinions.

"When in doubt? Blend, Blend Blend. Unless the car is white or black attempting to Butt Match can be risky. What is a Butt Match? When you attempt to match a new freshly painted panel to the adjacent's original paint without blending.

If the color is a metallic don't cheap out when it comes to paint. Why? The less expensive alternatives have a larger flake that makes it difficult to Blend / Flop into the factory OEM finish.

What is FLOP? How often have you driven next to a gold or silver car and watched some panels "flop" lighter or darker while others remained the same? Often times you can even pick out the blend in a panel based on the flop not being correct. The flop is caused by the orientation of the flake in the pigment, the edge of the flake is the darker side, while the face is the more reflective side. The orientation of the flake can be manipulated through spraying technique, air pressure, and humidity."

Last edited by silenc3x; 10-16-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to get my front/rear bumpers repainted as I am having the spider webbing on the front and have a couple cracks in the rear.. had no idea a repaint would run this expensive. Makes me want to search for parts and/or buy aftermarket parts and have them painted ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by silenc3x
Without blending there is a bigger chance you'll notice the differences between panels. Esp on Silverstone. For peace of mind I'd do with the blending, but that's just me.

I've had panels repainted without blending, but I have non-metal Berlina Black which is much more forgiving with repaints. They say white and black in general can do without blending.

May seem like overkill, but IMO blending is the best way to ensure the new paint matches your factory paint from 16+ years ago.
Interested to hear some other opinions.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure what I am going to do yet but it may wait until spring anyway since I am in Iowa and it is too close to possible snow to wait until mid November for an appointment. I do know that my bumper was resprayed because of rock chips before I bought the car and I never would have known and I have a good eye for that.

As noted by silenc3x I may just go back to the shop that recommended blending and just ask them if they can get an OEM bumper like the other two places had quoted and spray/blend it. I'd actually feel more comfortable with that because I assume a lot of the $1700 is labor to rework the existing bumper cover, likely more than an OEM bumper cover which was around $350 or so on the other quotes. (I think).

Ugh. All of this as a result of a light impact with a driver who stopped short on a green left turn arrow leaving me no time to react. It was very light but enough to warrant replacing the cover. I have to pay my part since it wasn't witnessed and the cop can only go by what we say. No fault accident.... It could have been a lot worse if it was a truck with a trailer hitch or something so I have to look on the bright side. The minivan just had a light scrape that can "buff out."

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 10-16-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:15 PM

> Ugh. All of this as a result of a light impact with a driver who stopped short on a green left turn arrow leaving me no time to react. It was very light but enough to warrant replacing the cover. I have to pay my part since it wasn't witnessed and the cop can only go by what we say. No fault accident.... It could have been a lot worse if it was a truck with a trailer hitch or something so I have to look on the bright side. The minivan just had a light scrape that can "buff out."
Hey, shit happens. At least you're fine! Could have been worse, right?

One time 3 or 4 years ago I was running errands and it started snowing lightly, My car wouldn't make it up this hill in these all season tires I had on, so I pulled onto a side road and left it there for the night. Came back the next day with over 2k of plow damage to my front end. Needed new bumper, new headlight housing, and new headlight bulbs.
Now if there is even a chance of snow I just uber places.

Another time my car was towed and the tow truck macked up my trunk with this massive dent.

Another time a lady in Mcdonalds hit me in the drive through, scratched up my back bumper, then backed up and sped away.

People really suck. Over 10 years Ive had no accidents but multiple small incidents, none of them being in my control or something I could have really avoided. I saw a PDR expert a few months ago and had like 8 or 9 dings removed from my car. All most likely from assholes not paying attention and opening their doors into my car.

Now I park as far away from anyone as possible. F*ck the general public.

Last edited by silenc3x; 10-16-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

First off I would recommend getting a new bumper cover over fixing the old one. They should be able to provided you a detailed quote with the cost of any parts and you can see if it would be cheaper for you to order said parts or just let them do it.

Second if the damage is only on the bumper blending may not be needed. What they should do is take the entire car and do some test panels to get the paint matched to your car. If they end up having to blend it its not the end of the world but I have seen plenty of cars mine included that didn't need blending when I had a bumper painted.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by silenc3x
Hey, shit happens. At least you're fine! Could have been worse, right?

One time 3 or 4 years ago I was running errands and it started snowing lightly, My car wouldn't make it up this hill in these all season tires I had on, so I pulled onto a side road and left it there for the night. Came back the next day with over 2k of plow damage to my front end. Needed new bumper, new headlight housing, and new headlight bulbs.
Now if there is even a chance of snow I just uber places.

Another time my car was towed and the tow truck macked up my trunk with this massive dent.

Another time a lady in Mcdonalds hit me in the drive through, scratched up my back bumper, then backed up and sped away.

People really suck. Over 10 years Ive had no accidents but multiple small incidents, none of them being in my control or something I could have really avoided. I saw a PDR expert a few months ago and had like 8 or 9 dings removed from my car. All most likely from assholes not paying attention and opening their doors into my car.

Now I park as far away from anyone as possible. F*ck the general public.
Thanks for putting things in proper perspective. It could have been worse.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:50 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I need to get my bumper cover resprayed, but I also need to replace the passenger fender as it looks like someone improperly jacked the car and really tweaked it in....perhaps it could be hammered out but I'm sure in the long run it would be much cheaper to buy a new oem fender and bumper cover and have them painted and install them myself. The only thing that blows for me is the fact that my car is all VINs matching on top of the fact that I'd really hate to break the minty fresh factory painted fender bolts loose...but I have no intentions of selling the car any time soon. If I ever need to sell it I'll just keep the old panels and be like "Ya want em? Here ya go!"
Old 10-20-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by S2kys
The only thing that blows for me is the fact that my car is all VINs matching
I'd rather buy a car with a fresh bumper cover with no VIN tags and an explanation as to why he replaced it, than a car with original VIN tags and bumper damage.
Or you just respray the OEM one, but it'll cost more and likely won't be as perfect as a new one.

Personally I'm about to buy brand new front and rear bumper covers and have them painted. I have drill holes from a grill and rock damage on my front bumper. And mesh cuts on my rear bumper from when Ray did it back in 2012ish. Going back to stock bumper with the JDP rear diffuser and black powder coated exhaust tips .

Last edited by silenc3x; 10-20-2018 at 04:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IA-SteveB (10-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Advice for replacing/painting front bumper cover