S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Advice for replacing/painting front bumper cover

Old 10-22-2018, 06:17 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
I'm in the same boat as you. I need to get my bumper cover resprayed, but I also need to replace the passenger fender as it looks like someone improperly jacked the car and really tweaked it in....perhaps it could be hammered out but I'm sure in the long run it would be much cheaper to buy a new oem fender and bumper cover and have them painted and install them myself. The only thing that blows for me is the fact that my car is all VINs matching on top of the fact that I'd really hate to break the minty fresh factory painted fender bolts loose...but I have no intentions of selling the car any time soon. If I ever need to sell it I'll just keep the old panels and be like "Ya want em? Here ya go!"
I really wouldn't worry about VIN tags. The car wasn't in an accident and you have "before" pictures if you ever do go to sell it. The only people who freak out about VIN tags are the tightly wound ones on bringatrailer.com. Just kidding.
Fix the car to your liking and don't worry about it. Depending on where you sell it, the buyer won't even know VIN stickers exist although I would still disclose it showing pictures and documentation to back up the previous condition.
The following users liked this post:
99MCoupe (10-24-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by silenc3x
I'd rather buy a car with a fresh bumper cover with no VIN tags and an explanation as to why he replaced it, than a car with original VIN tags and bumper damage.
Or you just respray the OEM one, but it'll cost more and likely won't be as perfect as a new one.
Good points indeed. I did more research on this and it seems that most people would not attempt to fix an OEM bumper and just replace it. Even if you are just fixing minor imperfections or spider webbing the amount of damage you can cause ATTEMPTING to refurbish it just isn't worth the time. It is soft plastic and can be easily over-ground. I think my OEM bumper was $350 and it is getting installed on the 29th. They made sure to get OEM because they didn't like working with aftermarket due to fitment issues. I took pictures of the original so I can clearly show it was replaced solely for cosmetic reasons. If I ever go to sell it and a person doesn't like the fact that the bumper is not original they will be missing out on a heck of a car.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:06 AM

I got my car back from the paint shop and they did a wonderful job of matching the silverstone on the bumper cover.. I can't tell at all and I am pretty good at spotting those things.
I will post a picture soon. I took one in the garage last night but the reflections made my bumper cover look cracked and spider webbed.

I kind of think when you bring a car in that is otherwise mint and well taken care of that a shop will try harder to "get it right" because you WILL notice.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 11-02-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
I'm in the same boat as you. I need to get my bumper cover resprayed, but I also need to replace the passenger fender as it looks like someone improperly jacked the car and really tweaked it in....perhaps it could be hammered out but I'm sure in the long run it would be much cheaper to buy a new oem fender and bumper cover and have them painted and install them myself. The only thing that blows for me is the fact that my car is all VINs matching on top of the fact that I'd really hate to break the minty fresh factory painted fender bolts loose...but I have no intentions of selling the car any time soon. If I ever need to sell it I'll just keep the old panels and be like "Ya want em? Here ya go!"
any good shop can fix that fender. Something similar happened to me and they fix it. Gl
Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by vasquezgno

any good shop can fix that fender. Something similar happened to me and they fix it. Gl

Yeah I know, but it's cheaper to get a new OEM bumper cover since there is much less labor involved, and a new one is only around $250-300ish unpainted. Also it will be absolutely perfect, since there was no fixing involved.

Last edited by silenc3x; 11-02-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:16 PM

Here is how mine turned out. The painter did a great job. I have since put the license plate in a black frame with waxy rubber washers keeping it from touching the paint. Looking great just in time to go into winter storage.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 11-03-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
Here is how mine turned out. The painter did a great job. I have since put the license plate in a black frame with waxy rubber washers keeping it from touching the paint. Looking great just in time to go into winter storage.
Nice! Looks new!
Old 11-10-2018, 05:45 AM

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Since you're replacing the bumper anyway now is the time to consider if you want to shave the holes and emblems.