S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

can't find the famous xpel headlight film for sale?

Old 07-13-2019, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can't find the famous xpel headlight film for sale?

The title says it all. Just can't find the kit in stock anymore! does anyone know where I can buy it? Does anyone know another brand that works? I was thinking of taking the fender and bumper off anyway, so even normal clear bra would work.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been meaning to do the same. Found laminex on eBay, not sure of their rep but it is an established brand.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F350408175971
Old 07-14-2019, 08:48 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

I ordered the pre cut film from Expel a few months ago. Came in a giant flat package. You made me go back to the website and look and what do you know, they had everything but the headlight kit. You may contact them and order (maybe a phone call will help) that way. You can also order the film, install it and then trim.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I emailed Xpel and they said they don't make the precut headlight film for the S2000 anymore.
The following users liked this post:
janders111 (07-26-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 09:00 AM
xb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got that same reply from Xpel. Went with Weathertech. The film was poorly cut and left a good amount exposed on the top blinker corner on my AP1. Maybe Lamin-X has a better template.

Originally Posted by Crispy808
I emailed Xpel and they said they don't make the precut headlight film for the S2000 anymore.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:42 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

You can purchase the material from Xpel in an oversize piece and cut it size after application to the headlight. You will need brand new #11 exacto type blades and a smooth hand as you brace it moving around the headlight.

This is what the professional installers of this film do when they are not only working on headlights but the painted surfaces of cars.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by xb1
I got that same reply from Xpel. Went with Weathertech. The film was poorly cut and left a good amount exposed on the top blinker corner on my AP1. Maybe Lamin-X has a better template.
I would be weary of using Lamin-X. There is an old thread on here where multiple owners noted cracking on their headlight after a few months. It was attributed to the thickness of the film which trapped heat and eventually caused cracking of the plastic underneath. Unless something changed, it might not be a good idea to use this brand.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
You can purchase the material from Xpel in an oversize piece and cut it size after application to the headlight.
Im pretty good with a scalpel so this wouldnt bother me. Seems this is the route to take. Id probably save a buck and do the rear too.

I wouldnt want my headlights to crack, thats for sure.

Ill def have to add this to the list of preventative maintenance.

If anyone knows of a superior brand, let me know.

Subscribed
Old 04-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Bump. Has anyone gone the route of buying the oversized Xpel film and then cutting it to size themselves?

My headlights need some love, but I'm torn between protecting them with 2K clearcoat or PPF.

Edit: Not quite Xpel, but I found a site that sells S2000 headlight specific 3M PPF. invisiblemask.com
Old 04-30-2020, 09:43 AM

I just installed my PPF (from InvisibleMask) on my headlights and here are some takeaways from the process:
  • Do your work in a clean area, preferably inside will little to no air movement. Dust and debris is relatively invisible to the naked eye, but when it gets under your film, it's glaringly obvious. Wash your hands well before starting as any oils may transfer to the adhesive.
  • All the precut film is "prestuck" to a large backing sheet. The size of the backing sheet can get cumbersome when trying to be delicate when peeling the film, and has a tendency to want to roll back on itself. I cut out each precut film section to ease the peeling off process.
  • Invisiblemask recommends using either baby shampoo or Dawn dishwashing liquid to create the "slip-solution" used to ease in positioning the film. My friend installed PPF on his headlights using baby shampoo and couldn't get the film to slide around despite using copious amounts of slip-solution. I'm thinking that the lubricity in baby shampoo isn't as high compared to Dawn dishsoap. Or his soap-water ratio was off. YMMV.
  • Spray slip-solution on the backside of the film after you first peel it off of the backer.
  • As long as you keep the backside of the film wet with "slip-solution" you can keep repositioning the film. It won't fully adhere until it's squeegeed in place, or the "slip-solution" fully dries.
  • Be generous with the slip solution as it helps the film slide more easily.
  • Invisiblemask also recommends mixing up a "tack-solution" of water and isopropyl alcohol which is used to more quickly affix the film. I had no need to use this "tack-solution" as the film seemed to adhere well enough with pressure. YMMV as using more soap in the "slip-solution" may affect how easily the film sticks.
  • Use distilled water for your spray mixtures.
  • When squeegeeing, go slow and be thorough as it's easy to leave air bubbles. Start from one side and work your way out. Using more slip solution on the film surface helps the squeegee glide, but can also make it difficult to spot air bubbles or debris.
  • If you're more talented than I am, it's way cheaper to just buy film in bulk and cut it to fit yourself. I spent about $55 bucks on just the precut headlight film. I opted for the Scothguard Pro version.
Overall, I'm happy with the quality of the product. It's cut to size perfectly and packaged well. Time will tell how well this stuff ages.