S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Car Paint Instructions

Old 11-22-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Paint Instructions

Hey guys. I’m looking to start doing some body work and paint, but have only found less than stellar write ups on how to paint cars or do body work. I have a large compressor, garage, and paint gun. I have some experience with painting cars but I’m looking for a thorough read up on how to do paint and body work properly. Any links or books would be greatly appreciated.

Also, great new section that came at a perfect time.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:22 PM

what are you trying to accomplish? a full color change?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:30 PM

im going to start shooting hardtops soon.. ill do a write up on that in the next few weeks.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:53 PM

that would be great. even the mixture ratio that you used. on each stage. and the product line, I know there is alot of them out there, and i wonder which one matches the best.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:35 PM

Im planning on doing hardtop paint within the next couple weekends. Also fixing rock chips and respraying the bumpers.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:08 PM

Every product line that sells paint has there weaknesses. Some paint lines match euro colors better some import or American better it doesn't matter if it's ppg or sherwin Williams that has the biggest library of colors know to man. There is know "good write ups" paint and body work is not like mechanics where they're can be a written diy of instructions because most things are visual and through experience. A good start though would be goin through the ASE books I believe it's b1-b5 if i remember correctly been a long time since I had to take a test. Even on the written test none of answers on the test were even in the book they were all experience based questions and this was for ase certification for painting and refinishing. Hope this helps
Old 11-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by freshs2k,Nov 27 2009, 04:08 PM
Every product line that sells paint has there weaknesses. Some paint lines match euro colors better some import or American better it doesn't matter if it's ppg or sherwin Williams that has the biggest library of colors know to man. There is know "good write ups" paint and body work is not like mechanics where they're can be a written diy of instructions because most things are visual and through experience. A good start though would be goin through the ASE books I believe it's b1-b5 if i remember correctly been a long time since I had to take a test. Even on the written test none of answers on the test were even in the book they were all experience based questions and this was for ase certification for painting and refinishing. Hope this helps
Well said.

One of the best ways to figure out how to get started is figure out what you're going to use and what you would like to accomplish. Find where you're going to buy the paint and talk to them and bring your project in. If they have any sort of decent customer service they should be able to steer you in the right direction with what you'll need and how to mix and spray it. As for the paint itself and mixing... READ THE DATA SHEETS ON IT. Do what it calls for and you'll have a much easier time.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:22 AM

I paint pieces for friends every so often..
painted two cars so far, with one being a practice car and the other being a track car.

Prep prep prep.

See what condition your clear is in, then you can either just scuff the clear and paint base over it or you can sand, primer, block, then spray base clear.

You want to have a big enough compressor so you don't run out of air while painting, especially if you're doing an entire car.

Make sure you get water/oil seperator, both in-line and right after the tank.

painting takes alot of practice, i'm getting better with every panel I do..
been doing base/clear alot but I did a single stage in emerald green for a friend and it came out excellent with ZERO orange peel.

it's not an easy task though, you have to spend alot initially if you don't have the equipment and there's a big learning curve.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:23 AM

I just read that you already have had experience painting cars.

ignore eerything above. sorry.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:43 AM

you can check out sherwin-automotive.com to view videos of best demonstrated practices on how to properly prep and spray panels according to their recomendations for use of SW products. Evercoat also has some good videos on their website showing how they recommend properly repairing dents and such.

Quick Reply: Car Paint Instructions