S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

carbon fiber hood wont lock

Old 06-03-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carbon fiber hood wont lock

I'm having difficulty with installing a carbon fiber hood and was wondering if anyone on here had any ideas...

The hood latches on, but doesn't lock...the driver side is flush, but the passenger side is raised up. I looked through some threads on here and tried some different things but I wasn't able to get it to lock on.

Does anyone have any ideas? The car was in an accident and I had the radiator support replaced, but the oem hood latched and locked on...I don't know what the issue could be with the aftermarket hood. I lowered the bump stops on the passenger side in case that was the issue but that didn't help. Below is an image of the hood that I took, is the alignment on my latch off? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can adjust the hood/latch?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem after I had bent my radiator support. I loosened the hood lock latch and raised it up as much as I could (Maybe a couple mm) and then retightened the bolts. It's only 3x 10mm bolts.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:03 PM

I had the same issue. OEM hood was closing and opening just fine after an accident. However, after picking up a Seibon CF MG hood, I could not get it to close completely. To the point where I was afraid to push any harder in case it would crack.

Here's what you need to do.

Adjust the hinges by the windshield. Loosen them up so that the hood can move forward. Then as xdreaming mentioned above, loosen the hood latch/lock and find the sweet spot where it will close. A quarter inch makes a HUGE difference in this situation. I believe I only moved mines 1/8 of an inch and it closed beautifully. Keep massaging it while it's loose, trust me you'll find a sweet spot.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:20 PM

Second the replies.

I've also seen aftermarket batteries and brackets holding the hood up.

But it's most likely your latch. Bolt it to the highest point and you should be good
Old 06-24-2015, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

This happens often, the hood striker could be shorter than OEM. Take the radiator support latch and raise as high as you can. This will compensate for the shorter striker.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:46 PM

I bought one of their ^ (ED's) hoods and the catch on the hood was way too short. I didn't want to use it as a means of keeping the hood on anyways as it was glassed in horribly and had spider cracks all around it. I used aerocatches to hold mine on. Look into them.

If that catch breaks out of the hood, you're going to need a new hood, new glass, and a new top (probably).