S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

headlight modification (for performance)

Old 03-21-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

When you sand, make sure you start with the least aggressive. I'd stay away from anything courser than 1000 grit. Anything courser will be difficult to remove the sanding marks. I made the mistake of using 500 and despite being really clear from yellowing UV coating, I see a lot of sanding marks esp when the lights are on.

I pulled the trigger and bought new OEM headlights (housing only) OSRAM CBB HID Bulbs and Peak Profile LED for highs. Going to protect the housing with Xpel... going all in!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind that if the lenses have cracks throughout the depth of the entire lens, they probably aren't salvageable.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
^^^^^ this guy should make some clear lenses to go with the clear diffusers
Unless 150 people sign up at $150 with prepaid orders, I wouldn't even cover the manufacturing costs.

Chinese companies can crank out whole headlights for cheap because it's what they do on a large scale. If I (not a plastics manufacturer) get them prototyped, developed, manufactured, and shipped, it will cost significantly more money, even in China.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by JS2k.com
Unless 150 people sign up at $150 with prepaid orders, I wouldn't even cover the manufacturing costs.

Chinese companies can crank out whole headlights for cheap because it's what they do on a large scale. If I (not a plastics manufacturer) get them prototyped, developed, manufactured, and shipped, it will cost significantly more money, even in China.
What about contacting the headlight manufacturers and get them to sell a batch of the lens alone?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

1. I'd recommend sanding / polishing until it is clear, then applying a layer of clear coat on top of it so that it lasts.
2. Yes, HIDs do get dimmer
3. Lens swaps to clear lenses (instead of fresnel in 06+ S2000s) will result in a more intense beam below the cutoff and a more colorful cutoff. Fresnel lenses found in 06+ diffuse the light better above the cutoff, and you have a better, more usable beam for longer ranges. People like the do the clear lens swaps because going over uneven pavement + coilovers + short wheelbase of the S2000 results in the headlights flickering from white to blue to purple.
I think the previous comment about lenses were about the housing lens, which the UV coating turns yellow.

What you're referring to are the projector lenses.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:54 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

... People like the do the clear lens swaps because going over uneven pavement + coilovers + short wheelbase of the S2000 results in the headlights flickering from white to blue to purple.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Does that flickering issue occur more with the fresnel projector lens, or with the clear projector lens?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:15 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnightdennis
Try using a 2k clear coat after removing the haze.
Fumes from 2k are extremely hazardous to your health; don't go recommending this to people when it's both dangerous and unnecessary (most don't have the proper ventilation masks).

A small squeeze of Meguiars Ultimate Compound, a microfiber cloth, and 30 seconds of rubbing will make your headlights look factory new. It takes a few months for them to fog up for me, but if I wax them (as with the body of the car), then they last without a clearcoat.

Meg Ultimate Compound:
 https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17216-Ultimate-Compound-15-2/dp/B001O7PNNM https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17216-Ultimate-Compound-15-2/dp/B001O7PNNM
Collinite 845 wax:
 https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Liquid-Insulator-Wax-845/dp/B000JK2D06 https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Liquid-Insulator-Wax-845/dp/B000JK2D06

P.S. My bulbs, I believe, had 120k miles on them and were 14+ years old. They do get dimmer. I swapped new HID bulbs in per OEM specs and things are indeed brighter.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:32 PM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Fumes from 2k are extremely hazardous to your health; don't go recommending this to people when it's both dangerous and unnecessary (most don't have the proper ventilation masks).

A small squeeze of Meguiars Ultimate Compound, a microfiber cloth, and 30 seconds of rubbing will make your headlights look factory new. It takes a few months for them to fog up for me, but if I wax them (as with the body of the car), then they last without a clearcoat.

Meg Ultimate Compound: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17216-Ultimate-Compound-15-2/dp/B001O7PNNM
Collinite 845 wax: https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Liquid-Insulator-Wax-845/dp/B000JK2D06

P.S. My bulbs, I believe, had 120k miles on them and were 14+ years old. They do get dimmer. I swapped new HID bulbs in per OEM specs and things are indeed brighter.
i apologize. next time I’ll make sure to include the fine print. Or are we assuming that people can not read warning labels on spray cans? Or that a $30 mask is somehow unattainable?

and sure you can use good ol’ fashioned elbow grease, compound and get foggy, hazy headlights every few months. Oh and spend extra time waxing just to delay the imperfections. Or you can restore headlights properly the first time and then apply a clear coat or film for protection and long lasting results that will definitely be more impressive than compound applied by hand... The time it takes to do it once correctly is far less than sitting there rubbing away with compound followed by wax then rinse, repeat every few months....

oh before i forget please use a mask and secure proper ventilation!
Old 03-23-2018, 10:53 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Sealing them after restoration is critical. Did the OP do that?