S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Help! What is this crud on my headlight and paint?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! What is this crud on my headlight and paint?

The front half of my car seems to be a magnet for weird crap being flung onto it. My current dilemma involves some white pasty something or other. Photos are below. I do not know exactly when this landed on the car, as I live in Chicago and daily drive the S2000. The polar vortex has given us enough craptastic weather that washing the car weekly was an exercise in futility, as snow/slush/salt/etc. would cake itself onto the car within 5 minutes of a wash.

That being said, during my last proper wash, these two spots remained after the soap, water, and sheepskin mitt attacked it. I have no clue how to get rid of this, short of asking a body shop and possibly having them repaint the fender and replace the headlight. Needless to say, I would rather not go this route.

Does anyone have any ideas that I can try before I shell out all the bucks to a body shop?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I would try a clay bar and quick detailer on those areas. Wet the clay bar and the areas and apply light even pressure and see if this removes the residue.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
I would try a clay bar and quick detailer on those areas. Wet the clay bar and the areas and apply light even pressure and see if this removes the residue.
Claybar is the right answer for a lot of paint issues. Do a bit of research and you will find a lot of uses (Glass, plastic, paint, etc.)

VP with the magic answers.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had something almost similar to that on my hard top. I couldnt get it off with hot water and soap, clay bar or compound. I used a little bit of hand sanitizer for s&g's, rubbed it in, let it sit for a couple mins and it wiped right off. I made sure to clean the spot thoroughly afterwards to make sure there was no residue from the sanitizer left over. It ended up being a huge wad of sap, which is probably not your case, but I was at the end of my rope after several weeks of attempting to remove my crud and it worked. Either way, good luck. It sucks driving around with spots on your car.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I really appreciate it...

After reading through suggestions, I decided to take my car to Simon's Shine Shop. The guys there told me they can remove it, but clay bar would not do the trick. In the end, they used a lime remover agent, similar to this one... They just did it along with a regular car wash, and $50 and 30 minutes later, my car looked like this. The normal wash is around $30, they tacked on $20 for the lime removal.

I tipped them an additional $25 for saving me the hassle of visiting a top end detailer, body shop, or hardware store for buying countless tools/solutions to get rid of it myself.

Thank you again, everyone, for your quick replies. If you ever see something similar, it is likely due to parking it in a covered area where water is leaking/dripping. I think it's called "lime scale." Case closed.