S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Homemade front splitter/bumper protector

Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Homemade front splitter/bumper protector

1. Bought a rectangle of ABS plastic from Tap Plastic. Put the front bumper on top of it and pushed it about an inch forward and traced it. Took it back to Tap Plastic and had them cut/shape it to the tracing. end up with something like this. They will pretty much get it exact.

^thats the rough/uglier side. I did the drawing on the ugly side of course.

2. I forgot the back side of the diffuser would be covering the already existing underbody panels. No need to cover it, its just added extra plastic. So I traced out the back of the bumper and cut this part myself since it didnt have to be pretty because nobody could see it once its installed. I did a stitching pattern with my dremel cutting disk

then it was easy to tear off

got it pretty exact

3. The bumper already had 4 pre drilled holes for the underbody panel so I used those for the bolt/washer/nut combo. Drilled 3 more for 7 total. Also used heavy duty 3m double sided tape along the bottom of the bumper.

Pic above only shows 4 screws but I added 1 more in the middle and 1 on each extreme corner.

4. installed and cleaned car

I definitely should have been more liberal on the front spacing. It doesnt stick out enough to look like a real diffuser, and you can't really notice it from far away. another half inch probably woulda been nice. but oh well, I mainly fabbed it in order to protect my $1,400 aftermarket bumper because it literally scrapes everywhere I go. not bad for under $80 total. (plastic, cutting fee, double sided tape, and screws)
Old 10-24-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the length is just fine. I want something like that for the OEM AP2 lip but it's no flat on the bottom.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ings +1?

i like the look, ill be doing something similar but with either wood or alumalite. i will also be mounting it to my chassis
Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badboy00z
I think the length is just fine. I want something like that for the OEM AP2 lip but it's no flat on the bottom.
luckily this aftermarket bumper is super flat on bottom so it was really easy to get this thing mounted, once it was cut to size.

Originally Posted by theaalex
ings +1? i like the look, ill be doing something similar but with either wood or alumalite. i will also be mounting it to my chassis
thanks! Yeah, when I bought it, it came with the ings+1 bumper only so its a bit funny having an aftermarket front but stock sides and rear. I am currently on the hunt to fill out the sides and rear though(and rims too). Should look steller once I have it complete.