S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Insurance Trying to Mess with Me?

Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Insurance Trying to Mess with Me?

So my S2000 was backed into while parked, thankfully the guy that did it was totally upfront about it and we filed a claim through his insurance.

Well his insurance is trying to get out of just sending me a check they want me to choose a shop and go ahead and get it fixed. Should I stand for this? Can i just tell them hey i haven't decided yet on what shop to go with can i just get the check?

Thanks.
One of the photos below for reference. Front bumper is damaged, headlight trashed, and fender is scratched up.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

You're in Ohio and dealing with someone else's insurance?! Why?

Get this done thru your insurance company. Let them figure out how to get the money from the other guy, it ain't your job.

Insurance is to repair your car, not give you cash to do it. Let your insurance company fix it to your standards by a body shop you approve.

Looks like the front plate got knocked off as well. Leaving it off is an invitation for every rookie cop to stop and search your car (they'll always have a reason).

-- Chuck
Old 06-29-2018, 02:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Chuck S is correct, It's his fault, have your car fix by your insurance and let them go after the guys insurance for payment
Old 06-29-2018, 05:27 PM

I've had to do this before someone hit my parked car 5 years ago and my insurance company said go through the other guys insurance because they couldn't do much, that was when I had state farm. I'm not too upset about the whole thing the bumper isn't original and this car has been hit before in the front. Also could have been much worse and the guy could have driven off because there were no security cameras around so I'm thankful he was honest.
I have friends that do great paint and body work so I'm definitely using them.
Actually upon getting some other people's advice I called their insurance and they were fine with just sending me a check so we'll see how long that takes. Can I say on here about how much the estimate was? It was ~2k so as long as I get something close to that it will end up fine.

As for the front plate, I haven't had one since I started driving and haven't been harassed about it, yet, so don't jinx it lol
Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM

So insurance check came in and was $120 less than what the body shop gave for an estimate, a body shop that is a "preferred" body shop for the insurance company in question. I'll probably just deal with it but this seems like bull shit. Body shop claims maybe they found a cheaper parts supplier yadda yadda.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All, I have been in 1 accidents myself + 1 on my mom's end. And what I learned from that is that your insurance will not do anything for you because you are not at fault and if they do, they will raise your rate. So I got hit and we exchanged info and after I file a claim with the other driver's insurance they told me to take it to any shop and get it fix, When I took it to the shop, a representative from the insurance was there to go over the inspection and pricing. Once that was done, they paid for everything.

Now, my mom's accident which is the same as yours as far as getting a check. She got rear-ended and police was involved so she made the claim to the other parties insurance and told her, go to a shop and well send you a check. And they send the check with the same amount as the quote from the shop.

Now with you, if you received the check and have a copy of the quote from where you took your car, call them and make them pay for exactly what the shop quoted.

Hope it helps in any way good luck.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently dealing with getting my other car fixed after it was hit when parked.

I specifically didn't want the insurance company to just write me a check, as I felt it would be a lot less than having it fixed through a good shop and I didn't want to deal with the back and forth to try and get more money when the costs went up. It just seemed easier to let the shop and insurance handle it themselves.. I actually just got the initial quote today and they are definitely going to have to do a supplement for additional money once they start tearing down time car to see what the suspension damage is.

My insurance company told me that if I went through them I wouldn't be penalized as it was a not-at-fault collision. I would however have to pay the deductible. Since I have the other driver's insurance information, they would then go try and get the money back from the other company (including reimbursement for the deductible). However, I am going directly through the other insurance company and will reach out to mine only if there are any issues.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't sound like you made your own claim. Make the claim with your insurance company.

You should at least get the repair quote from a shop so you can name the amount of the repair.