S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

OEM Fenders? Why is this gap so big?

Old 05-02-2018, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Fenders? Why is this gap so big?

Hey guys, new here. Just purchased a 06 S2K and it has quite the large gap between the wheels and fenders. Seems pretty odd to me although i'm really new to S2Ks. I can't tell if the wheels are just small or the fenders were stretched or something. anyone have any idea? Looking to go circuit garage flares and I just wanted to make sure I would be fine with that. And I was also thinking 18x9.5 fronts and 18x11 rears? Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2018, 03:55 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

This is what the car suspension looks like. It enables you to get in and out of driveways and drive over speed bumps without tearing off things under the car or the front bumper. Black makes it hard to tell if the fenders were pulled -- may have been since there are several non OEM items visible.

The car has "AP2V2" wheels which were fitted to '06 and '07 cars but the seats are out of something earlier as the open headrest was eliminated in 2006. Is the car DriveByWire? Just confirming it's an '06 as the seats are distracting me.

I doubt you or I can handle these cars to their performance capabilities in stock form so I see no reason to bugger them with lowered suspensions and larger wheels. Look that word up if you're unsure my meaning. I don't claim my opinion is the majority one. Good tires are the paramount item anyway. I've run Bridgestone and Dunlop Extreme Summer and Max tires and am fine with the latest generations of Max. (Bridgestone S-04.)

-- Chuck
Old 05-02-2018, 04:11 AM

Yeah I understand. It just looked odd to me how much farther in the wheels are than the fenders. It's definitely an 06, all the VINs match and Carfax history confirms. This will be my daily and I won't be driving it crazy. I just want to cruise, but I do want to use it as a project to start doing some body work. I will install the circuit garage fender flares I just wasn't sure what spec wheels to run. I was looking at getting some workmeister 18 staggered. 9.5 front and 11 rear, just didn't know if anyone would have any experience selecting wheels for that fender flare kit and didn't want to get the kit yet if the fenders currently on my S2K messed up or aftermarket. They look normal to me, it just looked odd. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-02-2018, 05:46 AM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

I think it looks lowered. Is that OEM struts/springs?
Old 05-02-2018, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Midnightdennis
I think it looks lowered. Is that OEM struts/springs?
It has coil overs. Do you think that’s why it looks strange? Just lower than stock? I just want sure because it seemed like the weeks were inward of the fenders quite a bit.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:04 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

It's lowered and looks to have the wrong sized tires on it.

Wheel arches look big as the car is dumped and the wheels aren't sitting in the normal spot.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by sam_spider

Wheel arches look big as the car is dumped and the wheels aren't sitting in the normal spot.
sweet as long as those fenders are OEM the CG flares should fit nicely and I’ll get new wheels anyway. Thanks for the info man!
Old 05-02-2018, 06:08 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesuperfly

sweet as long as those fenders are OEM the CG flares should fit nicely and I’ll get new wheels anyway. Thanks for the info man!
They're oem, but the passenger rear qtr has definitely had some work (bondo) done to it as it's quite wavy just behind the door.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:10 AM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider

I agree. Looks like it has staggered wheels but a 215/45 square tire setup.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

^^^^ What size are the tires?
Levi

Quick Reply: OEM Fenders? Why is this gap so big?