S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

oem Spoiler held on by double sided 3m tape?

Old 10-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem Spoiler held on by double sided 3m tape?

just as the title says, will this work?

I just ordered an ebay spoiler which is held on by double sided tape. I was wondering if in addition, I would have to drill holes?

thanks
Old 10-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Yes, well it depends. Did you get the oem wing? or the oem spoiler. I've had both, and the wing, you need to drill 4 holes. Easier since they are on the side. The pattern is like a colon.

: :

Whereas with the oem lip(spoiler) you still have to drill 4 holes but they are in a line.

. . . .

Each of them do come with the 3m double sided tape, that's pretty much there for added measure, but you for sure have to drill. Otherwise well...your spoiler won't stay on there for very long =) It's not as daunting as you think. Just be careful, I used about 4 drill bits for mine. Small hole, then incrementally larger. The hardest part, is getting past the fact that you are taking a sharp drill and going right into your paint! haha fun fun.

don't forget to buy OEM touch up paint for your car. Once you drill the holes, you'll want to touch up any exposed metal on the side before you mount the spoiler.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 PM

cool thanks for the response!

it is the lip spoiler. The thing is that the one I ordered does not come with any mounting holes :?...so how can I put holes in the spoiler for it to be steardy. Also, are there marks on the underside of the trunk that I can use to drill the holes?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Which is it, the front lip spoiler or the trunk spoiler? If it is non OEM you are on your own as far as hardware and installation.

Trunk spoiler installation instructions.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/S2000/s2kspoiler.pdf

Or the OEM front lip install instructions.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/S2000/s2kfus04.pdf
Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So your ebay replica spoiler doesnt have any places to bolt it down?

I bought a real OEM lip spoiler for my car, and I just drilled 1 hole on the outsides on the spoiler, and didnt do anything with the inside ones since it seemed sturdy. I know for the outside holes there are little circles under the trunk where to drill.

Here is a pic of mine. You can see the silver bolt and washer on each side where I mounted my OEM lip spoiler.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:29 PM

wow thanks for that walkthrough.

and Suzuka, that was what I planned on doing is just drilling to outter holes. Now with that said, is there any way of putting in a female lock screw type thing into the spoiler so that when I put a nut through the trunk, it will grab on securely to the spoiler?

Dont know if that makes sense?
Old 10-24-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Assuming the material of the spoiler is dense enough a threaded insert would work.

This type is available in any hardware store.
http://www.ezlok.com/Home/index.html
Old 10-24-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point,Oct 24 2010, 04:27 PM
Assuming the material of the spoiler is dense enough a threaded insert would work.

This type is available in any hardware store.
http://www.ezlok.com/Home/index.html
thats exactly what i was looking for...thanks so much. I beleive something of that nature should work...will post resaults once I get it on (or not)
Old 10-25-2010, 01:57 AM

I've been wondering about this for sometime. SUBSCRIBED so I know if i can buy the oem replica from ebay or not.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be aware if your buying the replica ebay spoiler painted. The 3 guys I have seen buy them all sold them already. The finish was pretty wavy, and the colors are a bit off, even the berlina black.

Quick Reply: oem Spoiler held on by double sided 3m tape?