S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Paint Blem, Tool Rust, Seat Wear of Prospective Purchase

Old 07-16-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint Blem, Tool Rust, Seat Wear of Prospective Purchase

First I want to say hello, thanks for letting me join, and compliment you all on a great site. Man I've learned a ton in just a few days.

This is my first post so please educate me if I misstep. The tool rust and seat wear are off topic, but I couldn't find a Marketplace>Questions About Condition forum. Please help me move to the right place if there is one.

I'm thinking about buying an '07 from a dealer in FL (I'm in VA BTW). Here's a link to the listing: https://www.audinorthorlando.com/use...c0395b339c.htm
They sent me some additional pics of the car, attached below. The first seems to show some peeled clear coat. What might cause this and does it point to a bigger problem? The 2nd is of the bumper, but I can't tell if it's discoloration or reflection. If discoloration, is it pointing to a bigger problem? 3rd is of the tools. I was quite surprised by the corrosion. Again, is this pointing to a bigger problem? Is this normal? Was the car 2 feet deep in water? Lastly the driver's seat has some wear. Is it straightforward to dye it, or do I need to be concerned that it'll rip next week?
AutoCheck says two owners both in FL (Titusville and Indiatlantic). No accidents. 50k miles. Previous owner claimed no bodywork nor paint. Is it too much sun and sea air?

Thanks much for your help. I've been waiting 10 years to get one, and I'm as nervous as a kid on his first date.
Keith

Clear coat peeling?

Discolor...or reflection?

Rusty tools. Never seen the like.

Worn or worn out?
Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Seat no concern- looks pretty typical. but those tools...oh boy- could be a flood car- pull up the carpet and look for sediment underneath. I would expect salty air (as you'd find around Titiusville, FLA) would have caused corrosion on the under hood bolts, VTEC metal thingy, and under side bolts, rather than protected metal in the trunk. Now, it may have had moisture in the trunk from the vent under the rear bumper- common s2000 issue.

also, weird way to fold the tonneau cover- dealer needs to follow the directions.

aaaand, the top desperately needs new Modifry elastic straps- I haven't seen one that bad in forever.

if it scares you, walk away- unless you're willing to take losses.

darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 07-16-2018 at 05:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kblewis (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback. They tell me they replaced the top! I asked if it was OEM and they say, "think so". Maybe it's cheap aftermarket. I'll double check with them. Which pic clued you in to the straps? Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:21 AM

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Look at the top down photos on the dealer webpage. The top should fold down completely, with very little of it above the plane of the body. Google "S2000 top down pics" and compare to the dealer pics.
kblewis (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:15 AM

I recall now noticing that, but then got distracted by other things. BTW, for my education, is the blemished clear coat an issue? Any idea what causes it and how easy is it to fix?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks like this car has been on cargurus for quite some time. If you're willing to spend this much on an S2k, it better be more sorted than this. It should be nearly perfect IMO. It appears this is an exorbitant price given the poor condition. Are all the VIN #'s present? If I had to guess, the front bumper VIN is absent and it would need a respray. Enter at your own risk with this one. I certainly wouldn't go chasing it. There is another LBP for sale on this site, but it's on BAT now. Appears to be in much better condition.
kblewis (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:32 AM

BTW, I've decided to pass on the car. They tell me that there is no sign of water damage in the trunk other than the tools, so perhaps the previous owner took them out to get some more trunk space, and they corroded as a result. But not sure. I think I'd like to find one in better condition. Rusty tools, blemished clear coat, missing fender VIN, and iffy top coupled with the distance to travel make it all too much. I would still be interested in knowing your opinion of the clear coat, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:05 PM

Thanks, ssbfgc, for your feedback. Makes me feel better about my decision. I think I know the car you're referring to. Trying to figure out how to do this long distance. I exchanged emails with the owner of that car (I think), and he said he's putting it on BAT because he can't deal with people coming to look at it, but I can't accept buying it without seeing it. I'll keep looking. Thanks guys for your help.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This dealership is less than a mile from my home if you end up wanting more info on it, but based on the photographs for me personally would be a pass too.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the offer and for the reassurance.

Quick Reply: Paint Blem, Tool Rust, Seat Wear of Prospective Purchase