S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

To Paint Or Not To Paint? OEM AP1 CF Seibon Lip

Old 04-24-2018, 03:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Dub
I don't think most replies are from CF Nazis...it just would look odd as the only CF part. Now if you had plans for other CF parts then I wouldn't paint it.
It was a joke
Old 04-29-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that a oen lip or replica? looking to get one, not sure if those $50 enay ones are legit.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by blkswan
is that a oen lip or replica? looking to get one, not sure if those $50 enay ones are legit.
Unfortunately, no. I looked around quite a bit and this is as close as it gets, as the OEM AP1 lips are discontinued. The eBay lips look cheap (polyurethane) and I wanted something more substantial and of better quality. It is an exact copy made in carbon fiber from the CF company, Seibon. To your door, they are about $700. It’s the shipping that kills you. I mocked it to the car and it’s an excellent fit. I picked up the original installation kit from Hartop Guy. All needed hardware and the weatherstripping are included. Once it’s painted, no one will ever know the difference.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:39 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Brady936
... The eBay lips look cheap (polyurethane) and I wanted something more substantial and of better quality.

Others here have used polyurethane lips priced around $50 with excellent results. If you search around a bit on these pages you can find a couple of threads that will provide some reviews that differ depending on the specific seller involved.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Others here have used polyurethane lips priced around $50 with excellent results. If you search around a bit on these pages you can find a couple of threads that will provide some reviews that differ depending on the specific seller involved.
Yes, the eBay seller BaysonR seems to be the best of the bunch. However, there are also a number of reports with them randomly not fitting well. Some say they worked well with very good fitment, then others complaining that they weren’t even close, with holes not lining up, large gaps, too short and the like. I also recall a few reports of negative resolution experiences. I think the biggest tell-all, for me, was the repeated phrase that “it’s a good lip for the money”. I wanted a good lip that reflected OEM quality, not a good lip for the money. For those that had great experiences, I’m very happy for them. To get the job done for $60 plus paint is a great bargain. However, it wasn’t the route I wanted to go. I preferred to go with a piece that you didn’t have to “lay out in the sun” to have it return to its proper shape. Perhaps I missed out, but for the goal I have for the car, I think I made the better choice.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:36 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Mine is excellent. But, I ended up not using it. It is hanging in the rafters of my garage. I should probably just sell it. Its professionally painted - Sebring Silver Metallic.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Mine is excellent. But, I ended up not using it. It is hanging in the rafters of my garage. I should probably just sell it. Its professionally painted - Sebring Silver Metallic.
I think you should put it on! If it’s a good piece then do her up. I like the OEM lip, personally, but there’s something to be said for stock. It’s certainly no ugly car. I like some aftermarket styles also but it hurts resale. That Spoon S-Tai front bumper is to die for IMO but I couldn’t do it to this car. Maybe that white AP2 I’ve been mulling over getting next year...but then again, there’s always an FD.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:28 PM

I pick up the lip (painted) from the body shop on Tuesday. I will take some photos. Hoping to get it installed right away but it may take a week or so. Photos will follow once it is installed.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:27 PM

Default Seibon oem cf (painted) lip installed

As promised...photos. The color match is excellent and the paintwork extremely good. Paint was $197. The lip fit very well and all tabs lined up. I will say that it’s important to take your time drilling through carbon fiber. It’s not a bad idea to add some glue to the drilled holes as well. Not to bond it to the car or screw, but for added confidence that the CF won’t splinter over time. Fast drying superglue works well. The OEM install kit with weatherstripping from Hardtop Guy worked as planned.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Bri

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks spectacular! Much better painted than exposed CF.

Quick Reply: To Paint Or Not To Paint? OEM AP1 CF Seibon Lip