S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Rear Wheel Well Lip Plastic

Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Well Lip Plastic

Just purchased my first 2002 Honda S2000. I've been a Honda guy for a while now, one thing I've noticed with my s2k is in the rear wheel wells there is a plastic lip where you would typically roll your fenders. I know civic are prone to rusting back here because of that plastic. This is my forever car, and I really don't want to set my car up to rust in the future. Is this something that other s2k owners typically peel off?

Thanks,
Old 05-03-2017, 11:29 PM

My fenders were rolled when I bought the car but like 1/3 of the plastic lip was still in place.
I pulled it of anyway and there was a lot of dirt trapped behind it so yes I think this might be prone to rusting.
You could clean it every once in a while and but it back on but I chose to just leave if off permanently
Old 05-04-2017, 04:57 AM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Per the service manual if you remove and reinstall them you're suppose to apply a certain silicone to the center of it before installing it.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I would keep them on. If you remove them, the rear tires will kick up road material nicking the lip causing an area for rust. However, if you don't remove them and wash the area out, they can trap salt and water causing rust too.

I remove the rubber liners anytime I wash the car to rinse out the wheel wells for any trapped road debris, and then I usually wash the liners out as well before reinstalling on the car. (You should reapply silicone for reinstallation, but I don't. Thug life). My car was exposed to a few Chicago winters by one of the previous owners, but it has no rust on the quarter panels or anywhere else on the body, and I've done a thorough inspection on it looking for any signs of rust. I only drive it on dry days so there is not much build up of road debris on the rear wheel wells.

If you drive the car in winter, make sure to rinse the underbody and wheel wells as much as you can. The salt compounds that are now being used in bigger cities are very corrosive and cling to the body, so it's important to wash it often in winter!

Also, look into Fluid Film for rust prevention. I have been using it on my 4Runner for years now and I have no rust or signs of early rust on the underbody.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I have rolled a lot of fenders and can say the only ones I have seen rust in the rear wheel wells was if there was repair work (usually poorly done repair work). Thats not to say it isn't possible but if they are OEM honda sealed that area up pretty nicely and that strip is added protection. I would recommend taking them off and cleaning that lip from time to time. The amount of crud I have to clean out of there on every car I roll the fender on is surprising. Could probably clean off 5lbs of crap from the wheel wells.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:58 PM

Well damn, that was some useful information. Thanks all for the advice!!
Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

So is it an easy thing to remove the strip, wash, and reinstall?