S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

*HELP* Rear Brakes Dragging: New Slide pins/boots/grease + Ebrake adjusted *HELP*

Old 01-28-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default *HELP* Rear Brakes Dragging: New Slide pins/boots/grease + Ebrake adjusted *HELP*

Ive been searching for this specific issue and i dont think ive seen this topic yet, or at least with my symptoms so forgive me if its out there...

Long story short, my rear brakes have been dragging and its been getting progressively worse overtime. Initially i tried re-greasing the old slide pins/boots, and did not fix the issue long term. It ended up progressively going back to feeling like the ebrake was on all the time. Today i went and changed the Slide pins, boots, and grease. Cleaned the slide pin holes pretty well, and popped the new stuff in. Greased the sh!t out of the pins, adjusted the ebrake to OE spec (9-13 clicks, mine was 7-8 so a little tight), and its still dragging ever so slightly. Not like a "coast to the stop light and it has a little drag before moving backwards", its legit catching and stopping the car and not allowing it to "move backwards" on slight incline. You can also feel/notice it (the drag) on acceleration and shifting. Now my original slide pins/boots/grease were old, and i noticed the rear brake pads were uneven inside to outside. It is Better, just doesnt feel 100%. I drove it a couple miles after installation of new parts, with various braking patterns.

Does it take a couple hundred miles for the new stuff to even things out?
Should it be an instantaneous fix and there is something else detrimental going on with the car?

Any experience/insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

What about the piston?
Old 01-28-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you certain that the caliper piston is properly aligned to the pad pin locators?
Old 01-28-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
What about the piston?
Are you asking if it may potentially be bad?...could be...i dont know the characteristics of a failing/dragging piston

Originally Posted by rmerchant3
Are you certain that the caliper piston is properly aligned to the pad pin locators?
I would assume it is. Theyre oem rear pads, they've been on the car for over two years. This particular issue didnt start until this past year. I put them in the proper way and everything went back together just fine. Is there something else i should be aware of?
Old 01-28-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt. Spock
Are you asking if it may potentially be bad?...could be...i dont know the characteristics of a failing/dragging piston

I would assume it is. Theyre oem rear pads, they've been on the car for over two years. This particular issue didnt start until this past year. I put them in the proper way and everything went back together just fine. Is there something else i should be aware of?
The rear pistons have a + indention in them. the + has to be aligned to the posts on the backing plate of the pad, otherwise it will apply uneven pressure to the pads and can cause what you are describing.

Pay close attention starting at 1:35
The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (06-10-2019)
Old 01-28-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Everything the lads above have said. Your piston may also not be retracting like it should. With noticeable drag like you mention, it should be getting noticeably hot
Old 01-28-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmerchant3
The rear pistons have a + indention in them. the + has to be aligned to the posts on the backing plate of the pad, otherwise it will apply uneven pressure to the pads and can cause what you are describing.

Pay close attention starting at 1:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvbyjPFgyc
Great info
Old 01-29-2018, 04:34 AM

Thank you guys for all of your responses. @rmerchant3, i will have to double check the pistons to see if they are aligned. i will admit, i dont recall trying to line those up...i would assume that would cause a bit of drag as well, and it was slightly difficult putting the calipers back together as the video mentioned. Hopefully its something as silly as that...
Old 01-29-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 1,248 Likes on 945 Posts

I'd check your piston grooves first to see if they are aligned with the pad pin.

Then check the e-brake actuator.

did you put the pins back in the right bores?

What type of grease are you using?

Good used calipers are cheap AF on ebay. Don't waste your time. If your calipers are seizing at the piston or the e-brake actuator...the easiest fix is buying different calipers.

You can also use new or good used calipers to help you diagnose. Does swapping calipers fix your issue?
Old 01-29-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
I'd check your piston grooves first to see if they are aligned with the pad pin.

Then check the e-brake actuator.

did you put the pins back in the right bores?

What type of grease are you using?

Good used calipers are cheap AF on ebay. Don't waste your time. If your calipers are seizing at the piston or the e-brake actuator...the easiest fix is buying different calipers.

You can also use new or good used calipers to help you diagnose. Does swapping calipers fix your issue?
-top pin is the smooth one, bottom pin is the angled one

-Permatex ultra lube

If it comes down to it, after everything else has been tested, i will end up buying new calipers. I want to get this resolved! Definitely hinders the driving experience!

Quick Reply: *HELP* Rear Brakes Dragging: New Slide pins/boots/grease + Ebrake adjusted *HELP*