S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

[Need opinion] KW V3 vs. Ohlins R&T DFV

Old 05-24-2014, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Need opinion] KW V3 vs. Ohlins R&T DFV

I ordered the KW V3s recently for a MY04 honda s2000 - they are currently on their way - set to arrive on tuesday next week. The ohlins DFV are very close in pricing at this time but there is a wait list up until late july/august - not really in a rush (but Driving season will be over soon at that time, hope not). Since the price is so close ($305 in price difference), the DFV offer such a good bargain because of their build quality and aluminum build compared to the V3s. I was going to buy new top hats for the v3s anyways so that price could have gone into the ohlins.

Anyways, I will be using this car 99% on the street with 1 or 2 autox events/year MAX. I drive the car 4-6 mo/yr (may to september) and put about 3000 miles/year. I am looking for 1) as much comfort as i can get to please the gf/passenger, and to take the car for longer drives if i ever want to (up to 5000 mile road trip down the Oregon/California coast which is my dream to do in the s2). Also 2) to give me more confidence on the road. I would like a planted drive with more confidence. I want good turn in with slightly more understeer than oversteer for my own safety. I am fairly new to a RWD platform, and I find that I don't push myself harder around the corners compared to FWD cars because one of my many fears is to spin out on the street which has happened already (due to cold tires though) Anyways, i guess what i am asking for is your opinion on the two coilover kits - Ohlins R&T DFV vs. KWV3s.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:17 AM

Oh and I'd like to lower the 1/2" to 1" max.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

For your needs, either should be fine. My only experience on the s2000 platform is with the v3 and clubsports and both are great.

The ride is better than even stock. I'm sure the Ohlins DFV will have a similar behavior and I doubt you will be able to determine the difference between the two suspensions if you got a chance to drive them back to back.

Both understeer and oversteer can be bad in their own ways. You want to target for neutral and if you have to, mild oversteer.

What I like about the DFV is the ability to adjust ride height independent of preload, but I doubt you will need to worry about that.

Also you can achieve most of your requirements for a planted confident ride with good tires and a good alignment. After all, $10k suspension can't make up for shit tires.

As for top hats, Id save the money and run OEM top hats since you are mostly driving on the street. It really won't even be perceptible for you, except it maybe more noisy and annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2014, 04:24 PM

I have had V3s(bought them new) on my car with a 1" drop and the KW recommended damping settings for about a month now.
I would characterize the ride as stiff but smooth. I don't think it rides better than stock.
Sharp bumps are absorbed better due to the superior high speed damping characteristics of the KWs, but regular undulations in the road are transmitted more directly through the car. I don't think there is any getting around the fact that the springs are around twice as stiff as stock.
Still, I think the ride is pretty comfortable and civilized. The upgraded suspension really highlights how solid the chassis feels. I will be autoxing the car for the first time in a couple weeks where I hope to really see the benefits of the new suspension.

(no opinion on the ohlins, obviously, but I know their motorcycle shocks are regarded as top of the line)
Old 05-25-2014, 04:50 PM

I have the Ohlins and find that the ride quality is great, especially if you back off the damping. Handling is great too, the shocks really keep body control in check over bumps without seeming harsh. I haven't tried the KW suspension but I would imagine performance on the track and autox is pretty close to the Ohlins. Alot of track guys use the KW V3, as they are great bang for the buck. I think Ohlin makes a better shock, so the ride quality may be better with them. Keep in mind the Ohlins are single adjustable, so if you want to separately adjust rebound and compression, KW is the way to go unless you want to spend $5K+ for two or three way adjustable Ohlins.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went KWv3 to play with spring rates and track settings. You sound like a DFV customer tho
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

KW V3 = most inexpensive 2-way available
Ohlins R&T = a higher end 1-way option for the street market

Both kits are designed for street use in mind with a level of track capability.

My suspension setup beats up the two kits so I'm kind of biased. Those kits will work as designed for its intended price point.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by takchi
KW V3 = most inexpensive 2-way available
Ohlins R&T = a higher end 1-way option for the street market

Both kits are designed for street use in mind with a level of track capability.

My suspension setup beats up the two kits so I'm kind of biased. Those kits will work as designed for its intended price point.
What's your suspension setup?
Old 06-18-2014, 05:02 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I have the DFVs on my FD. Street ride is unbelievable, totally soaks up road imperfections. Ditto ability to put down the power over curbing at the track.

Regarding spinning out, you didn't do so because of cold tires, you responded incorrectly when you ran out of grip! Lifting off the throttle when you start to lose it only encourages the back end to come around. True for any car, but especially this one.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Ohlins here for me also.

Far better than my previous set of H&R coilovers.

Complaint, neutral handling and will take second(s) of your lap times.

These coilovers give you more confident in the car's capabilities at the limit.