S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Öhlins DFV Recommended Pre-load vs Ride height - Helpful Chart Inside!

Old 06-21-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@sakebomb

This has been a very informative post and much appreciated that you have released this information for us to tune our Ohlins. Would you happen to have similar chart plotting the recommended preload settings for the front struts as well? If that information is not available to the public I can totally understand.

Cheers
Old 06-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also have one question regarding chart from first page. According to the chart, if I set the preload at 2mm with 8kg spring (which is the default Ohlins recommended setting), the shock would be sitting right up against the bumpstop with zero travel. That can't be right can it?
Old 06-22-2018, 04:36 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

1mm+/- of height/lower adjustments = +/- 5 seconds of caster & camber correction.

Thats with a 1.5 mm <pitch>

Last edited by noodels; 06-23-2018 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:52 PM

sorry its a bit random ^

Last edited by noodels; 06-23-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I find this confusing as all shit. The vendor I got my DFV's with swift 12/10 upgrade told me to set my spring preload to 201mm because the Swifts are 3mm longer. Is this accurate info? As far as height goes, I did everything else according to ohlins specs and had my alignment shop fine tune the final height.

Even better here are the exact instructions I was given:

"Use 201 mm overall length instead of the 198 to set the preload.

Then take the numbers below the spring on the install manual and reduce them by 3mm. So use 101 mm on the fronts and 25mm on the rears.

Also, since these are stiffer springs, they wont compress as much, so the shock will need to be shortened 6mm in the front and 8mm in the rear. So take that 101 and go to 95mm in the front and the rears go to 17mm."

Last edited by S2GARAGENYC; 06-28-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:43 AM

^^Thats correct for your 2mm preload
Old 06-28-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by unclebobby
I find this confusing as all shit. The vendor I got my DFV's with swift 12/10 upgrade told me to set my spring preload to 201mm because the Swifts are 3mm longer. Is this accurate info? As far as height goes, I did everything else according to ohlins specs and had my alignment shop fine tune the final height.

Even better here are the exact instructions I was given:

"Use 201 mm overall length instead of the 198 to set the preload.

Then take the numbers below the spring on the install manual and reduce them by 3mm. So use 101 mm on the fronts and 25mm on the rears.

Also, since these are stiffer springs, they wont compress as much, so the shock will need to be shortened 6mm in the front and 8mm in the rear. So take that 101 and go to 95mm in the front and the rears go to 17mm."

WAT?!

Did your setup come with helper springs??
Old 06-28-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
WAT?!

Did your setup come with helper springs??
It did not. I don't want to mention which vendor it is, but they sell a TON of these suspensions with this exact spring upgrade. So we'll have to assume they know what they're doing.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:36 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by unclebobby
It did not. I don't want to mention which vendor it is, but they sell a TON of these suspensions with this exact spring upgrade. So we'll have to assume they know what they're doing.

I wasn't asking because I thought you got a crap setup, M8.

I was asking because setting up without helper springs is super easy.

Is your S2000 stock weight? Stock soft top...all that?

Rear needs about 9mm of preload.

DO NOT PRELOAD THE FRONT at all. Just make the spring barely snug. Even with 0 preload, you really have a little too much travel if ur using 12k springs. So don't add more travel via preload.

You MUST set initial preload before installing the shocks to the car.

If you can't hold the rear shock by hand whilst trying to get 9mm preload....
Set it to like 2mm or 5mm...whatever you can manage. But write it down.
Once installed to the car, use degree turns to get the additional preload. 360 degree (1 full turn) of the spring perch is 1.5mm.

U feelin them instructions? Boyy-ee.

Dont make ride height a scientific thesis. The shock is threaded. Take a guess on where the lower mount should be. Then adjust it how you want it.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
I wasn't asking because I thought you got a crap setup, M8.

I was asking because setting up without helper springs is super easy.

Is your S2000 stock weight? Stock soft top...all that?

Rear needs about 9mm of preload.

DO NOT PRELOAD THE FRONT at all. Just make the spring barely snug. Even with 0 preload, you really have a little too much travel if ur using 12k springs. So don't add more travel via preload.

You MUST set initial preload before installing the shocks to the car.

If you can't hold the rear shock by hand whilst trying to get 9mm preload....
Set it to like 2mm or 5mm...whatever you can manage. But write it down.
Once installed to the car, use degree turns to get the additional preload. 360 degree (1 full turn) of the spring perch is 1.5mm.

U feelin them instructions? Boyy-ee.

Dont make ride height a scientific thesis. The shock is threaded. Take a guess on where the lower mount should be. Then adjust it how you want it.

Oh yea, I didn't sense any malice pal, sorry if my response reflected that. I'm from NYC, that's just how we come off lolol. In truth my car handles/rides great the way it's set up currently. I hopped in this thread thinking perhaps it could get even better.

Quick Reply: Öhlins DFV Recommended Pre-load vs Ride height - Helpful Chart Inside!