S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Öhlins DFV Recommended Pre-load vs Ride height - Helpful Chart Inside!

Old 12-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
I assume green is a near even ratio of compression and rebound travel? Have you guys measured the total rear damper travel range? Sorry for all the questions, just interested.
Can't give away every secret but yeah basically. Softer springs need a bit more compression travel than stiffer ones so they shift a bit towards more compression travel. Stiffer springs need less compression travel and as such get extra rebound travel. The rear DFV has 52mm of pre-bumpstop stroke and has 80mm of total available stroke.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Chart is very cool. Thanks for making it available to everyone. The amount of PMs I receive about this should drop nicely.
That's the goal! We love helping out the community with setup advice but if we spent enough time to answer all the questions we are asked we wouldn't have time to make cool parts. We figured this was the best way to help the most people as efficiently as possible.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by B serious
This is very prove to be very helpful for a lot of people. On a stock weight S2000, what would those values translate to in terms of shock travel?
Based on this graph bumpstop contact happens at 1.24" of drop. So if you look at a given cell, 1.24 - (the cells magnitude) is the pre-bumpstop compression stroke available at the wheel. Damper travel is 0.6 * wheel travel.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
Based on this graph bumpstop contact happens at 1.24" of drop. So if you look at a given cell, 1.24 - (the cells magnitude) is the pre-bumpstop compression stroke available at the wheel. Damper travel is 0.6 * wheel travel.
dang sounds like awfully short amount of travel.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:41 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000_916
dang sounds like awfully short amount of travel.
As Sakebomb mentioned above: "Damper travel is 0.6 * wheel travel." So important to keep that in mind. With the car lower (and the wheel/tire moved more into the wheel well) you can only get so much wheel travel before the tire comes into contact with the body. You definitely don't want your tire to be your bump stop.
The following users liked this post:
SakeBomb Garage (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

SBG - thanks for the informative posts. Just to clarify, the green boxes and "maximum ride height change" inside each cell is limited by Ohlins lower damper mount and spring length correct? I am saying this because, I would expect a higher rated spring would reduce damper travel (while also reducing static compression) and therefore allow an overall lower ride height. Therefore, a large benefit of stiffer springs is the ability to be set the car at a lower static height. Correct?
SakeBomb Garage (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Sponsor

Yes the values are the lowest the damper is capable of going. In general the stiffer your springs the lower you are safe to go because there is less vertical movement due to the stiffer ride. However because the spring compresses less from the weight of the car the ride height on stiffer springs cannot be lowered as much for a given set of hardware. This is were our billet lower mount comes into play, because the design is more compact you re-gain the adjustment that is required.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:25 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Would stiffer sway bars affect the recommended preload?
I'm going to try and ad some since I'm only at 2mm with the 8kg rear springs.
But I also got Tanabe sways front and rear which I think are a lot stiffer than stock and I'm thinking this should have some affect as well.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by flanders
Would stiffer sway bars affect the recommended preload?
I'm going to try and ad some since I'm only at 2mm with the 8kg rear springs.
But I also got Tanabe sways front and rear which I think are a lot stiffer than stock and I'm thinking this should have some affect as well.
It will have some effect while cornering but pretty minimal effect while driving in a straight line.
haga888 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by circuitclub
SBG - thanks for the informative posts. Just to clarify, the green boxes and "maximum ride height change" inside each cell is limited by Ohlins lower damper mount and spring length correct? I am saying this because, I would expect a higher rated spring would reduce damper travel (while also reducing static compression) and therefore allow an overall lower ride height. Therefore, a large benefit of stiffer springs is the ability to be set the car at a lower static height. Correct?
Yep definitely. But the spring rate and ability to adjust ride height to a specific point needs to be considered as well. On my car with 13kg/mm springs F + R I am just able to get to the rear ride height I was after, because I also have 12mm J's Racing rear roll center adjusters, which offset the knuckle up 12mm (which also lowers the ride height). If I was running stiffer springs like 16kg/mm or so and wanted to achieve the same ride height, I would height more roll center adjustment or lower mounts like this that allow for more ride height adjustment. 13kg/mm springs work very well for me with my setup. I have them at just a little more than 0mm preload and the compression travel is more than acceptable.

Quick Reply: Öhlins DFV Recommended Pre-load vs Ride height - Helpful Chart Inside!