S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Öhlins DFV Recommended Pre-load vs Ride height - Helpful Chart Inside!

Old 06-29-2018, 07:01 AM

Received 1,240 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by unclebobby
Oh yea, I didn't sense any malice pal, sorry if my response reflected that. I'm from NYC, that's just how we come off lolol. In truth my car handles/rides great the way it's set up currently. I hopped in this thread thinking perhaps it could get even better.

Oh no malice sensed on my side, cousin.

I visit relatives in NYC like...monthly. I want you to know that I fully understand yous.

Anyway, I have a thread where I made the jump to 12K/10K.

The preload settings recommended above seem to work well for ride quality. My car handles great so far. No odd behaviour. I'll be tracking it in the next couple of weeks to see how it compares to 10k/8k.

I've tried quite a few settings on 10K/8K...so I should be able to do a fairly thorough comparison.
The following users liked this post:
S2GARAGENYC (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 07:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

"yous"
Old 10-06-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

I just assembled my coilovers. 10k/8k with the recommended preload settings. I’m confused going through this as many say the 2mm preload is fine and others run something else. I plan on doing some HPDE but also street drive my car. The 25mm drop is fine for now, but eventually the car will be track only. Should I change the preload to something else? I do have some lower cups for the rears too but haven’t put them on, can I put them on anyway and be able to have the 25mm drop the stock ones provide? Still haven’t installed the coils. Car is on 255s square, 17x9 +45 and fenders rolled/bumper tab done. OEM HT and soft top still on

Last edited by Zer0ne; 10-06-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Zer0ne
I just assembled my coilovers. 10k/8k with the recommended preload settings. I’m confused going through this as many say the 2mm preload is fine and others run something else. I plan on doing some HPDE but also street drive my car. The 25mm drop is fine for now, but eventually the car will be track only. Should I change the preload to something else? I do have some lower cups for the rears too but haven’t put them on, can I put them on anyway and be able to have the 25mm drop the stock ones provide? Still haven’t installed the coils. Car is on 255s square, 17x9 +45 and fenders rolled/bumper tab done. OEM HT and soft top still on
If you're going to change the lower cups, you may as well just do it right away before installing the coil overs on the car. Consult with Sake Bomb Garage for setting these up. They sell them and have tons of experience with them. If you bought the coil overs from SBG, they help you set them up for free. Even if you have to pay for it, its well worth it instead of playing the guessing game and spending a ton of time to figure it out on your own.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Read graph in first post,you need more preload,or ride on bump stops.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
If you're going to change the lower cups, you may as well just do it right away before installing the coil overs on the car. Consult with Sake Bomb Garage for setting these up. They sell them and have tons of experience with them. If you bought the coil overs from SBG, they help you set them up for free. Even if you have to pay for it, its well worth it instead of playing the guessing game and spending a ton of time to figure it out on your own.
I'll send them a PM. Thanks

Originally Posted by noodels
Read graph in first post,you need more preload,or ride on bump stops.
SBG said that there would be an update to the graph in the thread but it doesn't look like it has happened. Also, I understand that the graph is for max ride height drop for those preloads, does that mean anything less than those values is ok? I'm not slamming the car by any means.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:29 PM

Go 16mm preload with 8k rear ,you will have all adjustability you need with standard forks.
Try it,
need it any lower ?,add the sbg lower forks.
The following users liked this post:
Zer0ne (10-09-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Isn't 2mm from the old install instructions provided by Ohlin?
Old 10-07-2018, 12:22 PM

Put the destructions in the bin 2mm is incorrect for rear.

Last edited by noodels; 10-07-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 1,240 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
Put the destructions in the bin 2mm is incorrect for rear.

There is a reason Ohlins chose 2mm. Its to limit shock compression travel for safety, and to increase shock rebound travel for lots of reasons. Probably also as somewhat of a suspension tuning method.

Too much travel at too low of a ride height can cause the tire to strike parts of the inner/outer fender, or for suspension parts to strike each other/the chassis.

So, use a bigger preload number with that in mind.

Since S2000's have in-wheel suspensions, and the rear tub is so deep, increased travel isn't as dangerous as doing it on other cars.

So the 16mm preload number *should* be fine. But...be smart. The Ohlins lower forks won't allow you to go so low that its a problem. Aftermarket lower forks will allow you to get yourself into an unsavoury situation if you use them incorrectly.

Being smart and informed about what you're doing is key.

More preload = more compression travel and less rebound travel.

BTW, for anyone reading this....the additional preloads are only for the REAR.

Don't use more than 2mm up front. And anything harder than ~10K front springs *should* be used in conjunction with helper springs for safety.
The following 3 users liked this post by B serious:
Mugen_is_best (10-11-2018), trails (05-21-2021), Zer0ne (10-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Öhlins DFV Recommended Pre-load vs Ride height - Helpful Chart Inside!