S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Brakes and Suspension (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/)
-   -   ‘05 Strut/Springs Upgrade (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/%E2%80%9805-strut-springs-upgrade-1189218/)

JB Morrison 10-27-2018 11:26 AM

‘05 Strut/Springs Upgrade

All,

Looking for advice and suggestions; I made my annual road trip and runs on the Tail of The Dragon a few days ago, and I can tell the OEM rear struts on my ‘05, 20,000 mile S-2000 are due.

The car is bone stock, and I would like to keep it appearing that way, so not interested in lowering it. It is drivin enthusiastically on back roads, and do one annual road trip to include some fun roads. I have tracked it twice, but am looking for a dedicated car to turn into a “track rat” as this “05 is too pristine to be flogged at HPDE events.

All that being said, I would like to upgrade the shocks on this car. Also, should I look at different springs as well? Coil overs? Suggestions welcome!

TIA,

John Morrison

B serious 10-27-2018 11:33 AM

Your factory shocks are worn at 20k?? That's....crazy.

How can you tell?

Most coilovers will lower the car at least a small amount. I Ohlins and a few others can maintain factory ride heights.

I think Bilstein PSS9 can get close to stock heights.

Obviously, Konis can be kept at stock height. But...they're not monotubes.

Or...just buy a set of stock shocks. Pretty easy.

Car Analogy 10-27-2018 03:49 PM

You could look for a low mile used set. You might even find something with less than 40k miles. Oh wait...

JB Morrison 10-27-2018 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by B serious (Post 24526205)
Your factory shocks are worn at 20k?? That's....crazy.

How can you tell?

Most coilovers will lower the car at least a small amount. I Ohlins and a few others can maintain factory ride heights.

I think Bilstein PSS9 can get close to stock heights.

Obviously, Konis can be kept at stock height. But...they're not monotubes.

Or...just buy a set of stock shocks. Pretty easy.

Back end more skittish over road surface irregularities, more “trailing throttle oversteeer” than I’ve experienced before, and I can hear the left rear strut creaking. I inspected the car while up on my lift before this last roadtrip, didn’t see any evidence of a strut leaking. Yeah, just 20k on the odometer, but 13 years old...

JBM

noodels 10-28-2018 05:59 AM

Checked your geo,could it be a rear toe issue ?

Car Analogy 10-28-2018 07:50 AM

Post summary. I have a weird handling issue, so I will just replace the most expensive part of my suspension to see if thats the issue. I'll compound things by also changing that set of components to something different than before, and thats adjustable, so it'll be even more difficult to ascertain the effeciacy of the change.

JB Morrison 10-29-2018 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by noodels (Post 24526398)
Checked your geo,could it be a rear toe issue ?

Alignment done not long ago, but worth checking again.

Always start simple!

JBM

twohoos 10-30-2018 12:15 PM

With 20K miles, no evidence of leaks, and no real track history, the dampers are almost certainly fine. (If you're just going to trash them, send 'em to me!) So the clunk you hear is probably a swaybar endlink or other bushing, or even something in the interior.

The rear twitchiness you describe is very common for S2000s. Admittedly the AP1 ('00-'03) was much worse, but the AP2 didn't magically cure it, it just made it more manageable. You'll find that every S2000's handling is very sensitive to:
- Alignment (max caster and extra rear toe-in preferred)
- Tire compound (as grip approaches and exceeds 1g lateral, rear toe-change under compression gets significant)
- Tire stagger, esp if tire wear changes contact patch differently front vs rear
- Rear sway bar ('00-'01 is too stiff for high grip tires, causing traction and stability issues)
- Aero (this car makes a ton of rear lift over ~110mph)

JB Morrison 11-01-2018 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by twohoos (Post 24527519)
With 20K miles, no evidence of leaks, and no real track history, the dampers are almost certainly fine. (If you're just going to trash them, send 'em to me!) So the clunk you hear is probably a swaybar endlink or other bushing, or even something in the interior.

The rear twitchiness you describe is very common for S2000s. Admittedly the AP1 ('00-'03) was much worse, but the AP2 didn't magically cure it, it just made it more manageable. You'll find that every S2000's handling is very sensitive to:
- Alignment (max caster and extra rear toe-in preferred)
- Tire compound (as grip approaches and exceeds 1g lateral, rear toe-change under compression gets significant)
- Tire stagger, esp if tire wear changes contact patch differently front vs rear
- Rear sway bar ('00-'01 is too stiff for high grip tires, causing traction and stability issues)
- Aero (this car makes a ton of rear lift over ~110mph)

Good info! Will be check all.

Thanks,

JBM

Ramathorn178 11-10-2018 08:14 AM

I just swapped in Koni yellows w/ H&R springs (front set at upper perch and rear set at lower perch) and feels about 100% better than the unknown mileage stock struts w/ tein stech springs. Haven't had a chance to push it yet as im still waiting on tie rod ends and an alignment but greatly improved from where it was.