S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

02 S2k is sitting lower on passenger side

Old 07-03-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 02 S2k is sitting lower on passenger side

Hey guys,

I have an 02 S with 15k original miles and have Eibach lowering springs on the stock struts. I have had them on the car since 07, but now got to looking and just noticed that the passenger side sits lower than the drivers side. I went and measured the distance between the passenger side and the drivers side and the passenger side front is 3/8" lower and the passenger side rear is 1/4" lower. Yes, all my tires are aired up perfectly the same and I took the measurement from the center of the rim. I can even use my fingers between the wheel and the fender and I have quite a bit more finger room on the drivers side.

Is this normal or is something going on here?

I recently hit a construction pothole pretty hard the other day that bent my $1000 iForged custom rim and when inspecting things, this is when I noticed the car sitting lower on the passenger side. I may just be being paranoid since this occurance and just noticed the difference between the sides now and it may have always been this way but I'm not sure. Im worried that I may have tweaked something in the suspension but when I took it to Honda and let my friend thats been a Honda mechanic for 20 years look at it, we couldnt find anything bent or messed up except for the alignment being way out, which we fixed but the car still sits about 3/8" lower on the passenger side.

Anyone else take measurements of the way their S sits stock or with lowering springs? Is it normal for the S to sit a little lower on the passenger side?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well when i had my eibach kit pro on..my driver side actually sat lower

i had a 2 finger gap on the driver front side..and a 3 finger gap on the passenger front side..

i was like wtf?!

i really dont know why it was like that...but maybe after you hit that pothole it may have caused something

sorry im not much help..jst thot id share my same experience.i have an ap2..and im on neuspeed springs now.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I had something very similar... Not sure if I'm paranoid.

Hit a nasty stretch of road with the right side of the car and bent my Volks. It also knocked out the alignment. Anyways, fastward a few weeks and I go to install my KW Clubsports. Take the stock measurements and the right side is roughly 3/8"-1/2" lower than the driver side.

After I install the KWs with the spring perches set at the same heights, same deal with the passenger side being lower. So I had to raise the perches on the passenger side higher than the driver's to get it even.

Later, went to install a front 4-point under chassis brace and it wouldn't line up. I'm wondering if my subframe got tweaked a bit....
Old 07-03-2010, 09:48 PM

I'm thinking about calling Eibach and tell them the issue with the passenger side setting lower and see what they say. My Honda mechanic/friend said that its probably always been this way and I just noticed it when I started looking things over after hitting the construction pothole.

I hope I didnt tweak the subframe. We didnt see any weird things while re-aligning it today.

If the subframe is tweaked, how can this be fixed?

Anyone still have the stock springs on and could you measure your heights to see if this is something normal from the factory?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by K.Shift,Jul 3 2010, 02:45 PM
well when i had my eibach kit pro on..my driver side actually sat lower

i had a 2 finger gap on the driver front side..and a 3 finger gap on the passenger front side..

i was like wtf?!

i really dont know why it was like that...but maybe after you hit that pothole it may have caused something

sorry im not much help..jst thot id share my same experience.i have an ap2..and im on neuspeed springs now.
Are your Neuspeed springs setting the car perfectly level or is it still off a bit? Maybe there is something wrong with the Eibach springs since you had the same issue. It sounds like yours was worse than mine is. I'm off by 3/8" on the front passenger side and 1/4" off on the rear passenger side.

I wonder if the strut could have bottomed out so hard that it bent the upper body perch some? I had these springs installed by a shop and they may have taken the strut bump stops completely out but I'm not too sure. If they did, the strut would bottom out metal to metal and that would probably pop the strut, right? My strut seems to be fine from what we could tell.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:04 PM

I talked with a tech at Eibach the other day and figured out what the problem is. When the springs are put on and you go to tighten up the control arm and other components, the car has to be on the ground at ride height. If you tighten all these components up with the wheels hanging, it will get the bushings bound up and cause the car not to set level when you set it on the ground.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been running the Eibach Prokit with stock shocks on my 06 since March and the driver side has always been lower. Car currently sits 1/4" lower on the driver side, easily demonstrated using the finger gap method though I've also measured. I can only imagine it's worse with me in the car. Springs were installed by a pro who preloaded the suspension before tightening everything down.

To me, this seems like some sort of design defect judging by all the similar complaints. Major to Eibach.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 PM

^^Thats not cool and thanks for the response.

I'll loosen everything and preload the the suspension and retighten. If this doesnt solve my problem, I'll give Eibach a call back. The tech I talked to said he was 99% sure it was because the suspension wasnt preloaded properly before tightening everything. He said that their quality control is so tight that the springs are pretty much perfect, but who knows.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin,Jul 12 2010, 02:53 PM
^^Thats not cool and thanks for the response.

I'll loosen everything and preload the the suspension and retighten. If this doesnt solve my problem, I'll give Eibach a call back. The tech I talked to said he was 99% sure it was because the suspension wasnt preloaded properly before tightening everything. He said that their quality control is so tight that the springs are pretty much perfect, but who knows.
I'm willing to bet the Eibach springs are fine. Like I said, my car had the ride height difference on the STOCK suspension.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well with my neuspeeds on my driver side its still a tad bit lower..so i dont think its the eibachs..its ok..not noticeable that much

Quick Reply: 02 S2k is sitting lower on passenger side