S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

07-08 Acura TL Type S 4 pot brembo on s2k?

Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not as flashy as the TL Brembos but certainly functional and a great deal cheaper. The whole kit can be put together for under a grand (or right at it): http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/7470...calipers-swap/
Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this doesn't help TOO much but someone has been successful doing this over at clubrsx. I remember reading about this back when I frequented those boards more often. Check it out there. I know the brakes between our cars are not identical but might give you some ideas of where to start with the conversion.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go another route. There is a reason no one has done this. I've got experience, let me chime in.

The TL-S caliper IS an upgrade over the spoon caliper. That spoon caliper uses the same pad as stock, so its main benefit is in the area of weight, and heat. The TL-S caliper is quite heavy for an aluminum caliper, yes its big but it is 9lbs, loaded.

The issue is fitment. The bolts ARE larger and require 1. threaded inserts or 2. drilling your caliper mounting holes on your knuckle to be larger.

ALSO. When you look at the caliper bracket for the S2k, the brackets thickness where the bolt goes through is maybe half that of the TL caliper. Since its screwing into bare aluminum, that part of the brake is maybe twice as thick. The rotor would have to be spaced out...off the top of my head at least 4 or 5mm via a rotor spacer (then you need centering rings and all.)

The other issue is rotor diameter. The mounting positions may be similar relative to the hub in terms of radial offset, but the S2k rotor is 11.8". The TL-S rotor on an 04 TL-S is 12.2" . This rotor has a smaller centerbore (same as an RSX-S, 4x100 civic, Integra, etc) and would have to be bored out to fit every time. PLUS, since that rotor is taller, youd need maybe a 10mm rotor centering spacer. Itd be smarter to find a lower-offset rotor, or a 2-piece one with a shallow hat where you can order a 320mm diameter disc thats 25mm thick. This setup requires 17s with a heavier offset.

For a cheaper fitment, the 02-06 Integra Type-R from Japan (DC5) has a 4 piston caliper that goes over an 11.8" rotor and uses a bigger pad (I'm almost positive its similar to that of an EVO8 or a 350Z brembo package.) This caliper IS at least a bit lighter than stock, you get a better pad, and less bias change. Maybe not as much of a monster of an upgrade since you have the same light rotors, but those calipers sell for like 400$ a pair or so on the net. Also, the bolt screws to the knuckle are the same diameter, the offset to the rotor is about the same, so this is a much better OEM option with no major machine work and a lot less money!

In short:

TL-S Brembo caliper - no
JDM Integra Type-R Brembo caliper - yes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by BrakeExpert
I'd go another route. There is a reason no one has done this. I've got experience, let me chime in.

The TL-S caliper IS an upgrade over the spoon caliper. That spoon caliper uses the same pad as stock, so its main benefit is in the area of weight, and heat. The TL-S caliper is quite heavy for an aluminum caliper, yes its big but it is 9lbs, loaded.

The issue is fitment. The bolts ARE larger and require 1. threaded inserts or 2. drilling your caliper mounting holes on your knuckle to be larger.

ALSO. When you look at the caliper bracket for the S2k, the brackets thickness where the bolt goes through is maybe half that of the TL caliper. Since its screwing into bare aluminum, that part of the brake is maybe twice as thick. The rotor would have to be spaced out...off the top of my head at least 4 or 5mm via a rotor spacer (then you need centering rings and all.)

The other issue is rotor diameter. The mounting positions may be similar relative to the hub in terms of radial offset, but the S2k rotor is 11.8". The TL-S rotor on an 04 TL-S is 12.2" . This rotor has a smaller centerbore (same as an RSX-S, 4x100 civic, Integra, etc) and would have to be bored out to fit every time. PLUS, since that rotor is taller, youd need maybe a 10mm rotor centering spacer. Itd be smarter to find a lower-offset rotor, or a 2-piece one with a shallow hat where you can order a 320mm diameter disc thats 25mm thick. This setup requires 17s with a heavier offset.

For a cheaper fitment, the 02-06 Integra Type-R from Japan (DC5) has a 4 piston caliper that goes over an 11.8" rotor and uses a bigger pad (I'm almost positive its similar to that of an EVO8 or a 350Z brembo package.) This caliper IS at least a bit lighter than stock, you get a better pad, and less bias change. Maybe not as much of a monster of an upgrade since you have the same light rotors, but those calipers sell for like 400$ a pair or so on the net. Also, the bolt screws to the knuckle are the same diameter, the offset to the rotor is about the same, so this is a much better OEM option with no major machine work and a lot less money!

In short:

TL-S Brembo caliper - no

This is some fantastic information here. Is there any need for rotor spacers ? Or are they the same dimensions as OEM s2000 discs ?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:07 AM

^ someone do the the jdm type r caliper retrofit and report back plz
Old 11-18-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isnt the CB of that rotor also 64.1?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:47 PM

Yes the centerbore is 64.1mm on the TL-S rotor (the first year they had the brembo caliper at least.)

The S2k (and all 5x120 hondas) are a 70.1mm centerbore up front.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by BrakeExpert

In short:

TL-S Brembo caliper - no
Have you done the Integra-R swap or seen it done?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM

I have TL-S brakes that I milled off 6MM to fit my 08 SI. So it sounds like I need to bore the center of TL rotors and they should fit. Right?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Reapur
This is some fantastic information here. Is there any need for rotor spacers ? Or are they the same dimensions as OEM s2000 discs ?
You can put a wheel spacer BEHIND the rotor. I recommend longer wheel studs.

Quick Reply: 07-08 Acura TL Type S 4 pot brembo on s2k?