S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

$1K brake repair estimate?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $1K brake repair estimate?

Took my car to a shop today...for some reason my passenger side
brakes are partially grabbing when I roll...

the estimate is $1K to fix replace rear rotor and replace front rotor..
pads..etc.

Any brake experince out there..$1K seems high for parts/labor!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If they go by book time and full retail price for parts then it can be very expensive.

I'd find a shop that advertises like $79 brake jobs or something like that

brakes call for around 2-3 hours for the front and the same for the rear.. if they are changing calipers you could be looking at 6-8 hrs of labor + like $500 in parts.. figure retail on rotors is around $60 each x 4, pads are like $60 each x 2 sets, calipers are $75...
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM

I can pull one rear rotor in about 5 min. You should look into doing most of this work yourself. If you are just talking pads and rotors, you are getting really screwed on labor. At one time, I was changing rotors and pads prior to track days in 30 mins.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by robinson
I can pull one rear rotor in about 5 min. You should look into doing most of this work yourself. If you are just talking pads and rotors, you are getting really screwed on labor. At one time, I was changing rotors and pads prior to track days in 30 mins.
yeah I'm going to take my car somewhere else...and we are just talking passenger side
brakes...they are sticking for some reason...I swear when driving by a wall or something
for noise to ricochet off of I hear an air leak!!

THe mechanic says rear rotors need to be changed and the front rotors/pads are shot...
we are not talking all 4 tires..just passenger side.

It is a gorgeous/pristine '06 rio yellow..he prolly thinks I've got cash! ha!

there goes my gear money for now!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that figure includes OEM parts but basically you are getting screwed on the labor.

If you are budget conscious, you should replace with ceramic brake pads (for street), OE replacement blank rotors, used calipers, and ATE Racing blue DOT4 brake fluid.

One thing to note if your caliper is indeed sticking, you NEED to replace that before new pads/rotors. You can tell by removing and comparing brake pads from left/right rear, left/right front if one side has substantially less brake pad life.

To recap, all shops make money from labor and only labor (they make nothing on parts). If you want to save yourself a couple of bucks, your best bet is to buy a shop manual and learn to diagnose the issues with your car.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 AM

There's no reason to use DOT4 if you are not tracking your car.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think it would cost $1k at the dealer..
Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 PM

I personally am not a fan of doing 1 side of the brakes. It would eventually not brake even and kill you on labor having to bring the car in at different wear intervals. Find someone close to you who could do all the work for cheaper like a track junky or a shop. Just my .02.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by EtoS
I personally am not a fan of doing 1 side of the brakes. It would eventually not brake even and kill you on labor having to bring the car in at different wear intervals. Find someone close to you who could do all the work for cheaper like a track junky or a shop. Just my .02.
yes I agree with this 1000%...I would think handling might suffer installing new brakes
one side while having 60K worn brakes on the other side.

I'm geting estimates from other shops...prolly gonna be around $500-$600 for all four.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:19 AM

1k WOW!!! dont be had.. its an easy job takes about 1 hour for all well, maybe 2 if you have few beers first.

Quick Reply: $1K brake repair estimate?