S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

2 questions about ohlins road and track

Old 08-25-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2 questions about ohlins road and track

i have 2 questions about ohlins road and track

-whats the "max ride height" vs oem shocks ?

-whats the weight vs oem shocks ?
Old 08-27-2017, 01:00 AM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Weight is about 15 lbs lighter that stock, ~50 to ~35 lbs. Ride height can get to at least stock height. PM for best pricing if you haven't ordered your kit yet, we will price match anyone and offer exclusive upgrades like rear remote adjusters and low profile mounting forks.

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 08-27-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:57 AM
JRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
Weight is about 15 lbs lighter that stock, ~50 to ~35 lbs. Ride height can get to at least stock height. PM for best pricing if you haven't ordered your kit yet, we will price match anyone and offer exclusive upgrades like rear remote adjusters and low profile mounting forks.
But, there is a recomended height by ohlins and it is lower than stock, correct? Is there any issue running the stock height with the ohlins. or at least, is it better to run the recomended instead of the oem height?

I´m also interented on pricing by I´m in Spain, I don´t think You can ship them here.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JRC
But, there is a recomended height by ohlins and it is lower than stock, correct? Is there any issue running the stock height with the ohlins. or at least, is it better to run the recomended instead of the oem height?

I´m also interented on pricing by I´m in Spain, I don´t think You can ship them here.

Thanks
Right, according to ohlins manual - in it's standard positioning it is 25mm lower than stock with an adjustment range of +/-15mm of the perch from the standard position of the assembled damper. Since the shocks are not positioned perpendicular to the ground, the ride height range effect is really the (15 sin θ)

Definitely you do not want to run the damper out of it's performance envelope unless you want to be left high and dry on warranty or bust seals.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Changing ride height via the lower perches will not in any way harm the shocks, or even change the resulting shock movement over any given bump.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
Right, according to ohlins manual - in it's standard positioning it is 25mm lower than stock with an adjustment range of +/-15mm of the perch from the standard position of the assembled damper. Since the shocks are not positioned perpendicular to the ground, the ride height range effect is really the (15 sin θ)

Definitely you do not want to run the damper out of it's performance envelope unless you want to be left high and dry on warranty or bust seals.

so what your saying is at "max height" the ohlins will be 1cm shorter than stock , correct ?
Old 09-27-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thomas has a point that ohlins has ride height adjustment in the lower cups

Not being familiar with the dfv I don't know how much space there is to adjust.

But you obviously don't want to short stroke the suspension and you don't want the damper to be riding on only 2 turns of thread just to get to stock ride height.

But according to the manual, their suggestion is no more than 1cm less than stock so your interpretation is correct.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:49 AM

Received 1,239 Likes on 940 Posts

The front shock:wheel motion ratio is ~ 0.59:1

The rear is ~ 0.58:1

With all of Ohlins' recommendations, you will be 1" (25mm) lower than stock at the wheels.

So set the front lower bracket height 0.59" (15mm) longer than they show.

The rear. Either:
- set the bottom bracket length 0.58 (14.5mm) longer than they show.

- or better yet, preload 0.58" (14.5mm) more than they recommend. You'll end up with 16.5mm of preload. They recommend 2mm. You're adding 14.5.

Voila. Right around stock height.

Simple.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 1,304 Likes on 987 Posts

Curious, always trying to learn, why preload rear to get stock ride height, but not the front? More bump stop clearance?
Old 09-28-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 1,239 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Curious, always trying to learn, why preload rear to get stock ride height, but not the front? More bump stop clearance?

The front shocks have so much travel before they touch the bumpstop that its crazy. More than stock, in fact. So preloading the front isn't necessary or recommended. If the shock has too much travel, it won't control excess roll...and the tyre will strike the inside of the fender before the shock will complete its motion.

The rears, however, have very limited compression travel. So using some preload helps.

Quick Reply: 2 questions about ohlins road and track