S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

2006 with Ohlins DFV 10/8 Springs still has too much body roll

Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,
Thanks to Noodles and B Serious for their help. Yes, I do track my AP2. Yes, I will take Noodles suggestion to install a front CR sway bar ( ARB). I was concerned a stiffer front sway bar would cause more understeer. Noodles says not so. So I’ll try it.

Yes, I could increase front wheels to 8”. I could also go w 9” wheels all the way around and run 245 square. That would b the ultimate I’m sure.

Thanks

Scott R
Colorado
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Stiffer sway bar up front is to fight understeer, while a smaller rear sway bar fights oversteer. A square tire set-up also fights understeer but is more prone to oversteer. I see a lot of guys run eibach or Karcept front sway bars and run an oem ap2 rear or some even take off the rear sway completely. It all comes down to drive style. I have 2 sets of sway bars that I swap around depending on what I'm feeling at a certain track.

As for the spring rates, I'd like to say that the 12/10 would help a lot more if you like a more grounded ride. If you're anywhere near a decent driver, you'll find the limits of the 10/8 ohlins within a very short amount of time. However, if it's about body roll during mid-turn, that's almost all on your sway bars. If you'd like to take baby steps then you should go with a CR front and a base ap2 rear, that is a very common set-up.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:34 AM

Hey, big thanks to member Eight for his suggestions. I agree, it easy to reach limits of Ohlin DFV 10/8 springs quickly. I am for sure going to install the Swift 12lb in front and run 10 lb in the rear. And install front CR sway. I much prefer a little oversteer vs understeer.

Scott R
Colorado
Old 04-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 348 Likes on 324 Posts

Also the lotus is 410 kgs lighter than the S2000,will never compete with that weight.
Built a stones throw from me & the old man helped design with R.Rackham & J.Thomson,& had Dino/Ducati concept in mind when designed .
Old 04-11-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

no....a stiffer sway bar up front is meant to INDUCE understeer. Not reduce.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (04-13-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

...stiffer swaybar reduces roll, but also reduces traction on that end.

Since you can't open the spreadsheet, I will add your values, 10k/8k with '06 swaybars, and post up the numbers. I'll also do a version with CR front swaybar, so you can see what that does for balance. I'll do it tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (04-13-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 06:49 PM

I really appreciate member Car Analagy’s assistance running numbers w 10/8 springs w stock sways and CR sways. I am looking fwd to hearing his findings.

FWIW, I thought running a stiffer front sway will induce MORE understeer. That may not be good. If that’s the case, going to 12/10 springs may be the most bang for the buck in reducing body roll.

Tha ks, Guys, very much.

Scott R
Old 04-12-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by eight
Stiffer sway bar up front is to fight understeer..
NO.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

It comes down to driver preference but I would highly recommend against installing a CR front sway bar with with 10kg/8kg or 12/10kg springs unless you are looking for more understeer. Especially on staggered tires. The car will definitely perform just fine but it isn't going to be neutral. Softer springs in the rear tend to exaggerate body roll in an S2000 because most of the feel of the car comes from the rear. With staggered tire setup I would run 10kg/12kg spring setup personally.

Roll center adjusters are another good option for correcting the geometry and increasing roll stiffness front and rear. A little more expensive than sway bars but correcting the problem a bit closer to the source. Roll center correction + slightly stiffer sway bars is a better approach than just adding drastically stiffer sway bars in my opinion.

Stiffer springs will also help reduce dive and squat and also help the car feel a bit more responsive on initial input. A lot more complicated than this, but the approach generally is to run the stiffest springs you can that don't also start to effect compliance and overall grip of the tire. You will definitely hit the compliance side of that before getting to the tire limit grip with the tires available these days.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:01 PM

Thanks very much, Forum member Andrewhake for your advice. Frankly, I was leery of running a stiffer front sway such as the CR front sway or Karcepts front sway w a staggered setup.

Would you please give me a little more advice re roll center adjusters? Where do I get them? How is install done? Cost? Etc.

Thanks , very much.

Scott R
Golden, Colorado

Quick Reply: 2006 with Ohlins DFV 10/8 Springs still has too much body roll