S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

.7" vs 1" Drop

Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default .7" vs 1" Drop

So I'm debating between Swift sports & Eibach ProKits and after doing some research I'm kind of leaning towards the Swifts. I just wonder if the extra drop on the Eibach's would be noticeable to the eye or if I won't tell the difference. I like the drop of the Eibach's but I hear the Swifts would be better for the track. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What shocks will you be running with them? Swifts tend to be the more popular choice between the two when one wants to lower and not sacrifice too much performance in handling. Before worrying about which springs are better for the track, do you actually track your car?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM

I will be running stock shocks until they give up. I don't currently track my car but I'd like to in the next coming months.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't recommend tracking on lowering springs and stock shocks...i've driven cars hard with that type of setup, and holy !@#$ it felt bad.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XtC-604
I wouldn't recommend tracking on lowering springs and stock shocks...i've driven cars hard with that type of setup, and holy !@#$ it felt bad.

It depends on the car, but for the most part this rule holds true. Lowering springs are generally not an improvement in handling with stock shocks.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM

If I must replace the stock shocks i'm thinking koni yellows or CR shocks.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by XtC-604
I agree with XtC. If you plan to track your car in the next couple of upcoming months and have not tracked on the stock suspension yet, I suggest you wait until you do so before changing out the springs. The ride characteristics, geometry, and handling capabilities of the stock suspension is actually very well balanced from the factory. I'm not saying that it cannot be improved upon, but generally the most practical way in this situation to improve upon any of the three that I mentioned is to upgrade the suspension setup as a set of components.

People often times will change out the springs with shorter and stiffer springs and call it sporty, but in reality, that just throws everything off. The concept of a great performing car is one where all the components work in symphony.

If you were to only plan to daily drive your car on the streets and never drive it beyond 6/10's of the car's abilities, then lower springs would probably be fine for you, but if you do plan to take it out to the track in the next few months, I would suggest taking it stock once or twice to get a feel for the car to determine exactly what you expect out of it before altering it's personality, as it could end up causing you to spend more money in the long run to re-alter everything again.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:59 PM

^^ thanx for the insight
Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM

No problem. What part of the US are you from? There's going to be a lot of great track day events happening this year in the SoCal/Arizona region. Some of the best registration prices I've seen in the last few years too.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM

I I'm on the east coast, New york.

Quick Reply: .7" vs 1" Drop