S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

The Actual S2000 Suspension Motion Ratios

Old 10-14-2016, 06:39 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Is this for track or autocross use?
Old 10-14-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Is this for track or autocross use?
Track/weekend fun
Old 10-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Another good application of the data is to find the relative effects of different spring rates vs anti-roll bar rates. Generally the anti-roll bar rates are quoted at the endlink, by converting both to the wheel you can directly compare the relative effects of each. For instance, if you like the balance of your car but want to increase the stiffness of the front springs, you can calculate how much front bar needs to be removed to maintain the same roll stiffness. Ultimately track testing is always required to dial in the setup but these calculations can help avoid having to repurchase components which can get costly quick.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Sponsor

Possible to get this stickied by a mod? We've had a number of people PM us looking for the link and name who were having a hard time finding the thread
Old 01-24-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I combined the OEM Spring Rate chart famously created by TwoHoo's, with the motion ratios and wheel rate formulas from this thread, and created a chart that adds the oem wheel rates for each iteration of the S. It can be found in thread below. I want to add the Total Wheel Rate (spring and swaybar rates combined), but not sure how to do that. Assistance appreciated.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...-818884/page3/

Old 01-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I combined the OEM Spring Rate chart famously created by TwoHoo's, with the motion ratios and wheel rate formulas from this thread, and created a chart that adds the oem wheel rates for each iteration of the S. It can be found in thread below. I want to add the Total Wheel Rate (spring and swaybar rates combined), but not sure how to do that. Assistance appreciated.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:48 AM

Ultimately I want to create a spreadsheet that can be hosted online (looking for a site to host it), where you can mix and match components from different years, or aftermarket components if you know the spring and swaybar rates (and maybe even a swaybar rate estimator that asks diameter and if its hollow or not to give some kind of rough spring rate estimate), and it calculates your wheel rates for spring, swaybar, and total, and also tells you what percentage of front vs rear bias your setup has.

Of course it would just be a starting point, only real trial and error can find the best setup. But it could help a lot of people understand their current setup betrer, and where they should next make changes, and in which direction.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:38 PM
Sponsor

Ultimately I want to create a spreadsheet that can be hosted online (looking for a site to host it), where you can mix and match components from different years, or aftermarket components if you know the spring and swaybar rates (and maybe even a swaybar rate estimator that asks diameter and if its hollow or not to give some kind of rough spring rate estimate), and it calculates your wheel rates for spring, swaybar, and total, and also tells you what percentage of front vs rear bias your setup has.

Of course it would just be a starting point, only real trial and error can find the best setup. But it could help a lot of people understand their current setup betrer, and where they should next make changes, and in which direction.
This is basically what we've built but factor in many many more variables. We originally were helping people set up their suspension free of charge, but what ended up happening is we'd create suspension calculations for people and they'd then head over to a competitor with our numbers to buy a suspension kit for $10 less than our price, so we had to shut the door on that. We love sharing our expertise with the community and helping educate people, but it takes time and effort, so we were forced to monetize it after a handful of bad experiences. We do allow customers to apply 100% of this consultation service to any suspension product however, and include the service with any suspension order through us, so it's essentially free - ish.

Chassis Dynamics and Suspension Tuning Consultation - SakeBomb Garage LLC

Name:  ChassisDynamicsInformationSheetV1_zpsbyd2vi3f.jpg
Views: 2677
Size:  225.3 KB
Old 01-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think wheel rate is simply WR = Ks*IRs^2 + Kbar*IRbar^2, assuming one wheel bump.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:42 AM

That makes sense. Another member PM'd me with a similar chart he created, and confirmed the same.

I will update the chart.

Quick Reply: The Actual S2000 Suspension Motion Ratios