S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Adjusting shocks on a street/track car

Old 06-21-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Adjusting shocks on a street/track car

I'm close to choosing between the Ohlins DFV and KW V3 coilovers and am trying to visualize how changing the settings between track and street will work. For the fronts, that's simple, just raise the hood. For the passenger rear shock (US model), I remove the spare tire at the track so can access the top of the shock. But what about the driver rear shock? I would prefer to keep the trunk lining in place.

For the Ohlins, I see SakeBomb has a kit to remotely adjust. Has anyone used this and how is it to use?

For the KW V3, how do those of you who keep the trunk lining in place make adjustments?
Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

It doesn't take that long to pull the trunk liner.

I believe you can replace the normal clips with the handle equipped pull-out clips that are used on the spare tyre compartment.

You also probably won't play with the settings THAT much.

If removing the trunk carpet sounds like it sucks...consider the location of the bump adjusters on the KW's.

If the retort to that is "I'll likely never change the bump damping independently", then...why buy a double adjustable coilover?
Old 06-21-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a full interior in my car

My solution is to buy an extra adjuster and leave in place for the left rear shock

I dropped my adjuster trying to finagle it in place the first time and spent and eternity looking for it

The other adjuster you can leave it in a different shock or put in your car and use it to adjust the other 3

As for the spare tire on an 00-05 throw that thing away. Carry a can of fix a flat and if that doesn't solve the problem, AAA premiere membership.

You won't be driving at normal speeds with the donut anyway so it seems useless.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SakeBomb remote adjusters work great. I only use the drivers side since I have my spare (take it out during autocross). You do have to drill a hole in the trunk liner to mount it, unless you could figure out another way.

I just got the SakeBomb FPSport kit and couldn't be happier. They are such an improvement over my Megan (I know, not hard to do) that I haven't even messed with the settings yet.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
You also probably won't play with the settings THAT much.
Agree at the track that I won't change it much once I find a setup I like. But I was assuming that I would soften once I leave the track, especially for drives with my wife. These springs at 11k will be significantly stiffer than stock so figure I have to soften the shocks to get a reasonable ride on the street. Or do you leave yours in the track setup all the time? Perhaps you have a more accommodating spouse?
Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by gptoyz
I have a full interior in my car

My solution is to buy an extra adjuster and leave in place for the left rear shock

I dropped my adjuster trying to finagle it in place the first time and spent and eternity looking for it

The other adjuster you can leave it in a different shock or put in your car and use it to adjust the other 3

As for the spare tire on an 00-05 throw that thing away. Carry a can of fix a flat and if that doesn't solve the problem, AAA premiere membership.

You won't be driving at normal speeds with the donut anyway so it seems useless.
Is this with the Ohlins or KWs?

As for the spare, I used to think that too, but was at a track event 90 miles from home. I spun and hit something in the grass that punctured the sidewall. I limped home on the spare at a reduced speed but it was still faster (and cheaper too) than if I had to flatbed it home.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by kalibo
The SakeBomb remote adjusters work great. I only use the drivers side since I have my spare (take it out during autocross). You do have to drill a hole in the trunk liner to mount it, unless you could figure out another way.

I just got the SakeBomb FPSport kit and couldn't be happier. They are such an improvement over my Megan (I know, not hard to do) that I haven't even messed with the settings yet.
Great to see that! I'm leaning towards the FPSport kit too. How is the ride on the street when you soften the shocks? Would it pass the spouse test?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Agree at the track that I won't change it much once I find a setup I like. But I was assuming that I would soften once I leave the track, especially for drives with my wife. These springs at 11k will be significantly stiffer than stock so figure I have to soften the shocks to get a reasonable ride on the street. Or do you leave yours in the track setup all the time? Perhaps you have a more accommodating spouse?

I set the car up slightly over damped for smooth tracks. I may play around with the adjuster to get the car to feel how I want while at the track. So...leaving the panel out while at the track is easy enough.

I already know what I like on the street. So I set it there and pretty much leave it alone. If I feel like changing it...again...the trunk liner comes out in seconds.

I have Öhlins now (stock 10K/8K springs). Street setting for me is -8 from stiff for all 4 shocks. It rides better than stock. My wife doesn't complain when she drives or rides in the car. There's not much to complain about. She used to own/daily drive a stock AP2. So her frame of reference is definitely there. She'd say something if the car rode badly.

I used to have KW V3's (they come with 9K springs). I honestly play with the damping MORE with my Öhlins because of how easy it is lol. I pretty much set and forgot the KW's. I actually used their factory settings for like...3 years before ever touching the dial. The car saw tons of track time as well as a cross country trip. It was comfortable.

Also...if youre going with 11K springs...you'd likely set the rebound damping more stiff to account for extra spring rate.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Great to see that! I'm leaning towards the FPSport kit too. How is the ride on the street when you soften the shocks? Would it pass the spouse test?
It's not bad. SakeBomb recommended I set them at 10 from stiffest to start and I haven't messed with them yet. The Ohlins are much better than my Megans, though I don't think I need to tell anyone here that. A little bit bumpier but more refined. More like the stock suspension stiff but compliant (although stiffer). The Megans were softer but more harsh when hitting harder bumps. The Ohlins are stiffer and you feel a little more but more compliant over the harder bumps.

I can really only see myself adjusting them softer when driving up to the Dragon and back home. I don't DD the car so for around town, its fine being a little stiff.

I would highly recommend the FPSport kit if you are considering the DFVs. The quality is top notch. I was half expecting a DFV kit with some extra parts tossed in the box. Not at all. Everything was packaged well and looked like it came form Ohlins that way. They can be slow to respond at times but they are very willing to help and I feel I got a hell of a value in the FPSport kit.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, just placed the order for FPSport Ohlins from SakeBomb Garage.

Quick Reply: Adjusting shocks on a street/track car