S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Aftermarket Sway Bar Install (FRONT ONLY) w/ Stock Tires 205/225

Old 03-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Sway Bar Install (FRONT ONLY) w/ Stock Tires 205/225

I have a 2002 AP1. I need help getting an answer that will greatly make my decision whether it's worth spending money on getting only the front sway bar installed with rear oem swaybar. After doing some research, I want to run an EIBACH Front 32mm Sway Bar + Hardrace end links (non-adjustable), with already having a fairly new Michelin sport all season sport tires (205/225) put onto the stock rims. It is basically everything stock with only having the desire to change the 2002 oem front sway to Eibach 32mm Front Sway and newer end links. My question is, will I be able to feel a difference in better handling and less body roll alone in turns or what not? without having to play around with any aftermarket springs, shocks and coilovers for now. Also most importantly with this basic setup, will I also lose any grip in the front or rear tires? someone whos knowledgeable on this, I would greatly appreciate it
Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

A stiffer front bar will result in less roll in the front meaning less front grip. You say the rest of the car is stock so you will just add understeer. I would not consider that an improvement.

What don't you like about the current setup? If you don't have a specific answer, then leave it alone and drive it some more to get to know the car better. I left my MY00 stock for two years of track driving to really get to know the car. After that, it was clear what I wanted to do to accomplish and how far I wanted to go. Just bolting things on is more likely to degrade the performance. The S2000 stock is an awesome car for the street.

Lastly, perhaps you just want to change something to make it better? Perhaps you have a few dollars ready to spend on it? I'm not trying to make fun - we've all been there itching to "just make it better". If that's where you are, I'd still recommend you leave it alone mechanically and look at something cosmetic. Or spend the money on some seat time at the track or autocross and work on your driving skills. For most of us mere mortals, our driving skills are not up to the ability of a stock S2000. Invest in yourself to close the gap.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:19 PM

Not completely stock, I have a Ballades adjustable throttle body and aftermarket full catback. Cosmetically, the car is getting a fresh repaint all around as we speak. I want to touch on some of the handling aspect. What if I added both front and rear after markets?, would that neutralize some of the under/over steer issue + losing some grip? and maybe complimenting it with lowering spring? instead of just installing the front sway bar... The S2000 is awesome stock I agree I just want to eliminate some body roll when swerving in traffic or in the freeway. I don't track the car. Its more of a street casual with a little bit of fun when there is room perhaps. so I'm looking for more mildly enhanced street performance feel. I've owned the car since 2013 and pretty confident in its ability and capabilities in terms of street driving it.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:18 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm not the best person to make recommendations for a mild improvement for the street as I don't have any personal experience with that. Hopefully others will chime in with some specific recommendations for you.

FYI, I went straight to the SBG FPSport Ohlins which at 11k/11k are probably stiffer than what you want/need for the street. They are fabulous on the track. The regular Ohlins kit is 10k/8k IIRC and there are many here who run it for the street only. Search here and you will find some helpful descriptions. I'm a huge fan of the Ohlins as they are a great way to get more aggressive without ruining the ride on imperfect roads. But they're not cheap.

I have not changed bars yet. So far, I don't think I'm likely to do it - the balance of the car has remained good, especially as I'm now running square on the track. If you do change sway bars, I'd recommend doing both front and rear to maintain balance. If you just do lowering springs, remember that will likely increase spring stiffness so make sure you're ok with that. Better shocks can help alleviate some of that on poor roads.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

A big front bar is a common mod and a great starting point. It does indeed reduce body roll, and also helps to tame that rear end. AP1s also have very stiff rear bars, many go to a softer rear bar to get the rear end to stick better.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

I use MY00/01 FSB + AP2 RSB. Stiff front, soft rear. Sticks to the road like glue. No more squirrelly'ness.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by THMotorsports
A big front bar is a common mod and a great starting point. It does indeed reduce body roll, and also helps to tame that rear end. AP1s also have very stiff rear bars, many go to a softer rear bar to get the rear end to stick better.
Thanks, I figured the same. I ordered a 32mm Eibach Front Sway with a pair of Hardrace Front Endlinks / Proforge Rear End Links along with front Honda oem bushing brackets with energy suspension formula 5 prelube to apply on the bushing. Super excited to have them installed and see how it feels.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I too, have wrestled with the conflicting effects of adding a larger FSB. The car rolls less and feels more planted, on the street. Yet a stiffer FSB causes understeer, which is felt on the track. In an A/X or at track speeds the understeer becomes apparent because the car is being driven harder and the front tires and street alignment camber cannot hold the higher g forces. Hence stickier, wider tires, aggressive alignments and performance coil overs are added to gain a balanced ride on a track.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

OP on your MY02 they softened the front and rear sway bars, so there is more body roll out of the box on the 02-03 era ap1 compared to the 00-01. I agree it is too soft for my liking, but it is better balanced/a bit less over steer then the first MY. If it were me, id just throw a 00-01 front sway bar on and leave the rear as is and see how you like it. It will be a noticeable improvement and still well balanced.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
I use MY00/01 FSB + AP2 RSB. Stiff front, soft rear. Sticks to the road like glue. No more squirrelly'ness.
Its what I run as well, but with 14k springs all around and tire stagger.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sway Bar Install (FRONT ONLY) w/ Stock Tires 205/225