S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Anyone try Winmax? Can't Decide on Brake Pads

Old 08-16-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't understand why i seem to be the only person with horrible results with the Project MU HC800 pads. I recently bought them and tried them at the track. They are phenomenal for about 3 laps and then they have horrible fade. Firm pedal, just simply will not stop the car until they cool off a bit. My previous pads were oem and did a much much better job which makes no sense. Now after about 100 miles of street driving after the track they have become extremely noisey. Not really my idea of a street/track pad in any way. I was considering Winmax w4's but i'm pretty lost after reading these comments.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blake8418
I can't understand why i seem to be the only person with horrible results with the Project MU HC800 pads. I recently bought them and tried them at the track. They are phenomenal for about 3 laps and then they have horrible fade. Firm pedal, just simply will not stop the car until they cool off a bit. My previous pads were oem and did a much much better job which makes no sense. Now after about 100 miles of street driving after the track they have become extremely noisey. Not really my idea of a street/track pad in any way. I was considering Winmax w4's but i'm pretty lost after reading these comments.
You're saying that after three laps the friction levels dropped off so much that you couldn't even activate ABS in a braking zone? Do you mind explaining how you bedded your pads in? It sounds like you may not have gotten enough heat into them before the track day and they were outgassing on you.

-Matt M.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:24 PM

Matt that is correct. I bedded them in with about ten 70-5mph stops. They had such good bite that I felt they were good enough but things changed dramatically once I put real heat to them. After one 20 minute session the pads and backing plates looked like burnt charcoal.There is no doubt I'm putting them to the test but the fact that oem pads performed better definitely makes me feel as though something isn't right.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blake8418
Matt that is correct. I bedded them in with about ten 70-5mph stops. They had such good bite that I felt they were good enough but things changed dramatically once I put real heat to them. After one 20 minute session the pads and backing plates looked like burnt charcoal.There is no doubt I'm putting them to the test but the fact that oem pads performed better definitely makes me feel as though something isn't right.
I am sorry to hear. If the OEM pads performed better then something most definitely isn't right since these have a temp ceiling nearly double what the stock pads are capable of and should be holding up miles better than the stock pads. You are the first person I'm hearing of that is having a serious problem with fade. The paint burning off is common on pretty much every colored pad- I think Endless' blue paint is the only one that doesn't really burn off or color shift with excessive heat.

You have checked all the obvious things, right? No sticking calipers? Pads aren't dragging or binding up in the calipers?

I know this might be a very silly question but I just need to make sure since sometimes people get confused- you for certain have the hc+800 and not the type ns / ns 400 on the car, correct?

-Matt M.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

^I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like he is running the NS400.
Did you make any other changes between the run with oem pads compared to the PMU run? Different tires, larger front tires, added front or rear aero?
Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 PM

Im certain they are the hc800. The only thing I've noticed is after a bit of street driving I'm now getting brake noise while off of the brakes. The pads are just ever so slightly touching the rotor. I don't have excessive heat from a sticking caliper. Nothing at all was changed on the car besides pads, it was a back to back comparison.

I've now ordered w4's so I'll be sure to follow the exact bed in instructions and see how it goes.

Thanks for trying to help out.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am reading to much complain about the project mu hc+800 i am wondering is that is because they are made now in china please don't tell me is like always china make it = low quality crap
Old 09-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by leo777
I am reading to much complain about the project mu hc+800 i am wondering is that is because they are made now in china please don't tell me is like always china make it = low quality crap
The compound is made at their main facility in Japan then shipped in 55 gallon drums to their other facility in Thailand where the backing plates are cut and the compound moulded. The pads that come out of Thailand are held to the same quality control standards as the pads coming out of Japan so there should be zero issues with manufacturing quality.

-Matt M.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Originally Posted by leo777' timestamp='1473400707' post='24058018
The compound is made at their main facility in Japan then shipped in 55 gallon drums to their other facility in Thailand where the backing plates are cut and the compound moulded. The pads that come out of Thailand are held to the same quality control standards as the pads coming out of Japan so there should be zero issues with manufacturing quality.

-Matt M.
You see that with your own eyes or they told you beacuse one thing is you see it another thing if you hear that
Old 09-16-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by leo777
Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA' timestamp='1473793723' post='24061295
[quote name='leo777' timestamp='1473400707' post='24058018']

-Matt M.
You see that with your own eyes or they told you beacuse one thing is you see it another thing if you hear that
[/quote]

So what do you hate more? MIC products? Or people disagreeing with you on brakes?

Quick Reply: Anyone try Winmax? Can't Decide on Brake Pads