S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

ap2 rear end upgrade which parts do i need?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 1,304 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Sounds like your rear toe is wonky. also most all seasons have soft single ply sidewall tires that flex way to much and makes the rear end feel like it wants to come around on you wet or dry, doesn't matter, especially a white knuckle experience changing lanes around these rutted freeway roads in the Seattle area. Sounds lik its less a grip issue and more a handling issue the more you explain. This car required stiff sidewall tires to handle properly. Put some starspecs or RE11, even the stock s02 or ap2 re050 etc and make sure your total toe in the rear is in the .2 degree range and no more. And of course make sure your rear end bushings/ball joints are not all worn out and sloppy. You should be railing at that point, nothing ap2 really required.
This. Did you get an alignment after fitting the oem '07 shocks and springs? Your ride height changed, since you had lowering springs before. That alone requires an alignment. These cars are very alignment and tire sensitive.

You don't need A/S tires for the rain. You may even be working against yourself with the softer sidewalls. A good performance summer tire (something in ultra or max performance category, but below Extreme performance) that is well rated in the wet would be ideal.

But as bad as things are, it seems your real issue is alignment, and possibly rear tire pressures. This car is especially sensitive to any difference in rear tire circumference. Like if one tire is worn more than the other, or more commonly, one tire is low on air.

Check tire pressures. Check tire circumferences (carefully measure by wrapping a string around each tire, and compare length). Get a four wheel alignment.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 1,239 Likes on 940 Posts

There's some vagueness in a lot of OP's statements.

Alignment to stock spec? Which stock spec?

Did you actually get it aligned? Was it done in a shop with an alignment machine? Or a garage with your friends and laser pointers or something?

Did the shop think, OMG is this a Del Sol? Lets align it to stock Del Sol spec.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Potentially relevant:

I bought my AP1 stock, every time it rained I crashed.

I lowered it & the suspension I installed has similar spring rates to the S2000 CR. I stopped crashing.

I then put a square tire setup on it, at this point the car crashes itself in my garage.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Potentially relevant:

I lowered it & the suspension I installed has similar spring rates to the S2000 CR. I stopped crashing.

I then put a square tire setup on it, at this point the car crashes itself in my garage.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Potentially relevant:

Honda designed the car so you'd be thankful to be alive. Plus...what a rush it is, driving the most dangerous car on Earth.

If NWA was a car, it would be a stock AP1.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2003 ap1 and already installed springs and shocks from 2007 got ap1 alignment specs on it now
my car is oem alignment 2002 ap1
alignment 2007 shocks and springs stock wheels with stock size continental dws06 tires
looked at everything under the car during the alignment
stock alignment 2007 shocks and springs stock wheels with stock size continental dws06 tires extremecontact
after installing 2007 shocks and springs and alignment
it had espelir springs on it when i bought it

I'm not sure how you are still confused about my alignment and what was on there and whats on there now. I think I mentioned enough times and many different ways

and where exactly did I say that I expect my s2000 to handle like a del sol? please show
Old 02-01-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also to point out someone above. Honda revised the suspension every 2 years or so because people were crashing it. so obviously it was pretty fn bad for normal roads..
otherwise they wouldn't have to revise it and add all the safety features on ap2
again not everyone is a professional race car driver. when you release a mass production car you should expect regular people to drive it safely. simple logic realy
Old 02-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

ugh
Old 02-01-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
also to point out someone above. Honda revised the suspension every 2 years or so because people were crashing it. so obviously it was pretty fn bad for normal roads..
otherwise they wouldn't have to revise it and add all the safety features on ap2
again not everyone is a professional race car driver. when you release a mass production car you should expect regular people to drive it safely. simple logic realy
...regular people to drive it safely.

Like mashing the gas around the corner in the rain and not having the tail kick out.

And no...they did not revise it because people were crashing it. Where do you get your news?

The B16 Del Sol Integra media is very biased.

?? What added safety features on an AP2? VSA in 06?

If you were to drive IN A NORMAL WAY like A NORMAL PERSON, in an AP1 or AP2...you would be hard pressed to tell the two apart in terms of handling/chassis dynamic.

Nobody crashed one just attempting to drive it normally. They were crashed by people who got in over their heads. Lots of cars (including Del Sols) are crashed that way.

They face lifted and revised the Del Sol and RSX and Integra too. Was it because people were crashing them without provocation...and innocents were dropping like flies?

No.

You're not being logical, bruv.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
I have a 2000. You know, the one with the biggest sway bars offered on an S2000. Yes, I have more understeer biased spring rates, but I also have 255 200TW summer tires on the car all around. I'm kind of low & probably have next to no suspension travel. My alignment is surely not great & I am absolute in my confidence that my suspension bushings are shot.

AND YET, my car is totally reasonable in normal driving. You're doing something wrong or there's something wrong with your car if you're that terrified of it.

Quick Reply: ap2 rear end upgrade which parts do i need?