S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

ASM Coilovers for $18,000 !

Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyushin
Originally Posted by Swift GT' timestamp='1347827444' post='22015701
Imagine explaining to a girl why you spent 18 grand on your Honda's suspension..

Would probably be the same level of reasoning that she spends 3 grand on a hand bag.
Strong logic!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Not that $18,000 dampers is something I can afford, or would choose to purchase for a car if I could, but like a huge majority of ASM parts, they are essentially works race program parts that they "let" normal consumers purchase if they are so inclined. ASM does in fact sell many of their damper setups to a huge variety of customers as you can see on their S2000 blog:

http://autobacs-asm.com/blog/asm/

Are their customers in Japan buying their 3-way setup for their street, track, or autocross cars? Doesn't look like it, but hearing people look at products like this and think they can get the same thing for a 1/4 or whatever of the price is almost cute. You have connections at SACHS that will work with you over months and months building the best damper they can for your specific setup? You convinced them to build what is essentially a one off damper setup for your demo/time attack car that is used to help develop more products for the S2000 than any other company in the industry? Develop products on the same level as a current Formula 1 team for a inexpensive Honda sports car? Oh and after doing months and months of R&D and testing you can convince them to build custom sets that customers could purchase all around the world? Do you think ASM has any intention of getting rich off of these products that probably cost them more than 4x the asking price to produce all things considered? Some people seem to forget that oh yeah, all of these shops in Japan producing parts for all of these cars, they are actually TUNING SHOPS, you know, they do more than just import parts and sell them, they do more than mass produce the same parts for every possible application they can, any parts they can't build entirely on their own they find the best possible partner to work with, they spend hundreds of thousands building a car that will go a tenth of a second faster at Tsukuba because it's just what they do.

People's attitudes about something like this really don't go beyond, "wow that is expensive! I can get the same thing for less though, hurr durr derp herp plurp!"?

You have bullshit knock off suspension/aero companies who produce mass market parts based off other engineers hard work, You have great shops like Evasive working directly with companies like TEIN and Voltex and producing incredible parts, and you have shops like ASM that work with F1 engineers for products designed for a car that costs less than an F1 brake rotor.. which do you think will be the most expensive?

Also, a statement like this coming from someone who must have spent $15k+ on reupholstering the interior of his $30k car? I don't want to live on this planet anymore..
Old 10-06-2012, 01:58 AM

I like seeing all of the different parts out there. Obviously this suspension isn't meant to go driving down the street to go hardpark.

I am curious where do we find more info on the ASM and F1 connection? Searching Google doesn't come up with anything very useful at the moment.

Originally Posted by andrewhake
You have bullshit knock off suspension/aero companies who produce mass market parts based off other engineers hard work, You have great shops like Evasive working directly with companies like TEIN and Voltex and producing incredible parts, and you have shops like ASM that work with F1 engineers for products designed for a car that costs less than an F1 brake rotor.. which do you think will be the most expensive?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 AM

Well ASM works with SACHS who is involved in many forms of motorsport, compare SACHS involvement in motorsport to a small company like Moton, JRZ, etc. and you will start to understand why involvement with a company like SACHS is such a big deal.

http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/nort...ormula_na.html
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely retarted. Im sorry but anyone that would buy these is a complete moron. I understand the research and development costs and engineering that goes into a high end product like this but from a business perspective there is ZERO justification to have them prices 300-400% over what similar setups cost. Guess they dont care when there are people out there that will buy em just for the bling factor and think it will shave 3 seconds off their lap times at laguna seca lol. $600 floor mats... $3500 seats... OK... but $18,000 coilovers takes it to far. How about you take that $18,000... buy a set of JRZ`s and a driving school lol. sorry for my rant but if i wanna slap anyone who thinks these are worth and justified in price
Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by josh7owens
I'll stick with my 3 way adjustable JRZ's, thanks!

these JRZ`s look better anyways lol
Old 10-12-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by THMotorsports
That's ridiculous. I can get anyone a set of STANCE coilovers in 4-way purely custom for less than a quarter of the cost with a better warranty. LoL.
lol for even mentioning that brand in this thread....
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
...but hearing people look at products like this and think they can get the same thing for a 1/4 or whatever of the price is almost cute.
Öhlins isn't exactly a small potatoes manufacturer and you can get their stuff for literally 1/4 of what ASM is charging.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:33 PM

I am not saying in any way that ASM's SACHS dampers are better than anything anybody else offers, I am saying ASM offers EVERYTHING they use on their demo cars, almost as a simple courtesy to their customers. They realize that no-one is likely to purchase an $18,000 damper setup (the actual price is much less minus all the markup that occurs through distribution) but it is their priority to make sure it is offered.

How many ASM dry carbon widebody cars have you seen over the years? 1 is my guess.

You can absolutely get INCREDIBLE Ohlins dampers for 1/4 of the price of these ASM Sachs, and possibly get more performance out of them, but you won't be getting all of what ASM offers with a damper like that being one of the only shops willing to take S2000 tuning to the highest possible level. Talk to the owner of ASM and he would likely recommend you don't spend $18k on these dampers, just like their widebody aero, they have likely been installed on 1 car and one car only. It's just a difference in mentality really. Look how many shops in Japan actually stay afloat over the years compared to all of the companies that replicate parts and try to make a quick buck. There aren't really companies in Japan that just make and sell parts. (There is a new knockoff S2000 hardtop "company" on these forums every year I think.) There are companies that build cars, and sell the parts they use to build those cars at a cost high enough to recoup some of the r&d cost, so they can build more cars, participate in motorsport and not go out of business. ASM is a company that builds incredible cars and has incredible parts made through it's impressive connections to companies with much larger r&d budgets, and are receiving massive funding through Autobacs. All I am trying to get across here is that ASM producing parts at this level is a GOOD thing for S2000 enthusiasts
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyushin
Originally Posted by Swift GT' timestamp='1347827444' post='22015701
Imagine explaining to a girl why you spent 18 grand on your Honda's suspension..

Would probably be the same level of reasoning that she spends 3 grand on a hand bag.

Tried that logic and it does not work!!