S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Better brakes with AP2V2 wheels?

Old 09-27-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by clio
Hecash what model Tarox are you running?
Please see my post, above, for that information.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hecash,

Did you use the Accord calipers with the AP2V2 wheels? If so, did you have to modify anything to make them work? Did you have to shim them?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by beechx1
Bullwings, why are you not a fan of Racing Brake?
probably because they make low quality rotors, you can find a lot of complaints about cracks forming on their rotors much faster than other manufacturers
Old 10-04-2016, 08:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are there others besides Racing Brake that make a two piece front rotor for the S2000 / Accord caliper combination?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beechx1
Are there others besides Racing Brake that make a two piece front rotor for the S2000 / Accord caliper combination?
Not to my knowledge, and I run the RB Accord setup. They are the ones who developed/custom make the rotor hat (and use the NSX ring) to fit the Accord caliper on the S2K. Haven't heard of anyone else doing it. Most 2-piece rotors are designed for use with the S2K OEM caliper.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by hecash
As to the pad, it's available from Tarox, Ferodo, EBC (yellow only) Carbotech and another US supplier whose name I cannot recall. It is available in both street and track formulations.

When you upgrade to the Accord/TL caliper you move from an OEM pad area of 42 cm² to 61 cm². When you move to the Tarox, it's 42 cm² to 80 cm².
An update with regard to the availability of brake pads for the Tarox BBK (B-32 with 6 pot).

The pads from other suppliers that represent that they are adaptable to the Tarox calipers are plentiful. They do require modification by cutting off a small corner of the lower part of the backing plate and a protrusion on the top of the backing plate. To date I have successfully fit EBC yellow (DP4413R), Ferodo DS3000 (FRP3078R), Power Stop Z16 (Type 927ceramic for street use), and my next trial will be CarboTech CT927 in the XP8 compound.

To date, I'm thoroughly satisfied with the fitment and performance of those that have been fit. There are many more makers that have pads, but, after the CarboTech fitment, I'm not going to spend any more money to further validate alternative pad sources.

Last edited by hecash; 12-28-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently investigating the same issue, I like the AP2V2 wheels, and I'm not willing to give them up.

I'm looking for an OEM solution which guarantees easy availability of parts, basically that means sliding calipers, with two pistons in the front, and single pistons in the rear. The OEM wheels fit pretty close, so there's not much room for pistons on the outside of the caliper.

Front brakes work reasonably well on the S2000, the rear brakes is where the problem lies. I have a 2006, with original calipers, Hawk HPS pads front/rear. I've measured the brake temps with my laser pyrometer after a few laps, and the fronts are fine at around 300 degrees, but the rears are cooking at around 600-700. If you look around, many others have recorded similar temperatures. Note, new pads all the way around, calipers lubed and freely sliding. Temperatures were similar before/after new pads.

The Acura Legend GS 2 piston calipers are essentially a bolt-on in the front, these are a 2 piston caliper, same as the NSX and are widely available.

I'm looking at swiping in Acura NSX rear calipers/rotors in the rear, but the calipers are hard to come by. The NSX rear calipers bolt on, but are wider to accommodate a vented rotor which is critical in the rear.

I'm thinking about going with the SakeBomb RX8 rear calipers, the reason why I hesitate is they use a custom rotor which can be difficult to replace. I'm currently investigating other OEM rotors which would fit.

See the thread I started looking for Acura NSX rear calipers, If I could find these, these would be the perfect rear brake option because its an OEM solution and gives you a wider, vented rear rotor to fix the rear overheating. The larger piston NSX caliper I think matches will well with with the two piston Acura GS, as these also increase the piston area.

The linked thread has a bunch of links to fitting the Legend GS calipers.

I have a chart of piston area sizes, but not with me.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...ipers-1166255/
Old 01-10-2017, 01:36 AM

Have you considered brake ducts for the rear?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Szoylent Green
I'm currently investigating other OEM rotors which would fit.
Any joy with this?
Old 01-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there's brackets in market for you mount Acura RL calipers with MLK rotors but the issue is clearing the AP2 rims.

Quick Reply: Better brakes with AP2V2 wheels?