S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Brakes and Suspension (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/)
-   -   Big Brakes front and rear (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/big-brakes-front-rear-795844/)

tre3478 06-12-2010 08:08 PM

Big Brakes front and rear

If I get a big brake kit for front- like a 13" rotor or something.... do i need to get a big brake kit for rear as well to "balance it out" or should it all be good to go and just give me more heat capacity?

anyone that knows anything about his topic please help me out... it is a lot of money to do the "wrong thing"

I am just lookign to upgrade brakes and things for more heat capasity - I will run two sets of pads, one for street and one for track

hondaf1 06-25-2010 07:02 PM

you can play around with different front and rear brake pad compounds to get the desire brake balance. if you go with larger front rotors, then you can run an lower friction pads in the front.

Racing Brake is working on an OEM rear caliper BBK.
http://www.racingbrake.com/

CorneringMachine 06-29-2010 12:56 AM

Well I heard it was a MUST to upgrade all four of the brakes when upgrading and not just the front 2..

Voodoo_S2K 07-24-2010 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by CorneringMachine,Jun 29 2010, 01:56 AM
Well I heard it was a MUST to upgrade all four of the brakes when upgrading and not just the front 2..

You heard wrong ;)

yellowneck 08-01-2010 08:32 PM

You can upgrade just the front if you wish. There will be no detrimental effect on your brakes. The only added benefit of a big brake kit is resistence to brake fade. Stopping distance will be almost identical depending on the pad compound used. Only real way to increase clamping force is to change the master cylinder with one that has a larger diameter piston with same stroke length.

What you cannot do is install a big brake kit in the rear only and not the front. This will throw off the brake balance bias and your vehicles braking will be comprimised.

c32b 08-01-2010 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by yellowneck,Aug 1 2010, 08:32 PM
You can upgrade just the front if you wish. There will be no detrimental effect on your brakes. The only added benefit of a big brake kit is resistence to brake fade. Stopping distance will be almost identical depending on the pad compound used. Only real way to increase clamping force is to change the master cylinder with one that has a larger diameter piston with same stroke length.

What you cannot do is install a big brake kit in the rear only and not the front. This will throw off the brake balance bias and your vehicles braking will be comprimised.

i dont think resistance to brake fade is the only benefit. with a monobloc multi piston caliper, the added rigidity, the increase in modulation, enlarged friction area from the larger pad sizes (which may come along with the kit), maybe even lighter components and other benefits are present.

I have written a small article for my fellow club members locally regarding how you can get most of the fade resistance benefits of a big brake kit via brake ducting.

http://www.tractioncircle.com/index.php?op...ticle&Itemid=53

Pls pardon the amateurish nature of the write up.

yellowneck 08-02-2010 06:03 PM

yes brake ducting does help. But the only real way to get a better clamping force is to move more brake fluid. If you just increase the piston surface area of the brakes then all that you are inherently doing is redistributing the same force you had before over a larger area. So no extra clamping force is generated it is just spread out more evenly(more resistant to brake fade). Different brake pad compounds may help but are generally for different heat ranges where the brakes will work most effectively..

And yes you are correct that monoblock calipers add rigidity and help with brake pedal modulation but the clamping force is still the same.

There are many ways that a driver can setup their brakes. Only way to know how to set it up is to know what the car will be used for.

The primary reason for bigger brakes is increased heat capacity(i.e. reduces brake fade). Most people will never notice or even take advantage of the benefit of better brake modulation.

Unless someone is building a purpose built track vehicle where the brakes will be almost glowing simple upgrades like different compound pads, braided stainless steel lines, higher dot rating brake fluid and brake ducting will be more than enough.

c32b 08-02-2010 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by yellowneck,Aug 2 2010, 06:03 PM
yes brake ducting does help. But the only real way to get a better clamping force is to move more brake fluid. If you just increase the piston surface area of the brakes then all that you are inherently doing is redistributing the same force you had before over a larger area. So no extra clamping force is generated it is just spread out more evenly(more resistant to brake fade). Different brake pad compounds may help but are generally for different heat ranges where the brakes will work most effectively..

And yes you are correct that monoblock calipers add rigidity and help with brake pedal modulation but the clamping force is still the same.

There are many ways that a driver can setup their brakes. Only way to know how to set it up is to know what the car will be used for.

The primary reason for bigger brakes is increased heat capacity(i.e. reduces brake fade). Most people will never notice or even take advantage of the benefit of better brake modulation.

Unless someone is building a purpose built track vehicle where the brakes will be almost glowing simple upgrades like different compound pads, braided stainless steel lines, higher dot rating brake fluid and brake ducting will be more than enough.

my article does cover that to increase clamping force that the master cylinder must be changed.

much of what you say is very true. The need or lack of necessity for a big brake kit is absolutely dictated by the setup and what the car is used for.

Of course, if you have way too much money then.... :D

I generally think most of the time a big brake kit is overkill.

hondaf1 08-03-2010 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by yellowneck,Aug 2 2010, 06:03 PM
But the only real way to get a better clamping force is to move more brake fluid. If you just increase the piston surface area of the brakes then all that you are inherently doing is redistributing the same force you had before over a larger area. So no extra clamping force is generated it is just spread out more evenly(more resistant to brake fade).

that's not my understanding of how hydraulics works. from every article i've read, increasing size of piston caliper will increase brake force (without changing master cylinder). the brake pedal will have to move at a larger range for the larger piston to move at the same rate. much like adding an extended tube to increase torque on wrench.

this is also true when in put Accord calipers on my car with larger pistons.

c32b 08-03-2010 04:57 AM

increasing piston size will likely need a upgrade in the master pump.