S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

bilstein coilovers your review

Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bilstein coilovers your review

Well looking forward to this years tax returns, im thinking of looking for new coilovers since mine are starting to loose their luster. I used to work at "azone" part-time, and through a friend they can hook me up with either set of coilovers for a large discount w/ a lifetime warranty. SO my question for the racing gurus here areeeee, what do you think having used or using these coilovers. For reference my ap2 is my daily yet certain daily comforts or greatly outweighed by the joy of driving such a wonderful machine.Ride height id like slightly lower than stock but definitely not slammed, starting this summer im hoping to go to atleast 1 or 2 track days per month. I guess you could say im in the middle of form and function. What are your impressions driving daily over your type of terrain? Speed bumps pot holes? I want to know it all. What were your impressions during spirited driving or better yet track driving? Any questions let me know. Lastly any and all information no matter how small is very much appreciated as im still at the tip of the ice berg when it comes to suspension setup, geometry, and geometry change while driving, thank you very much in advance!

Maybe its just my phone but description doesnt show up on my screen so for others who see the same im talking about the b16 pss9 and/or b14 pss kits
Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My PSS9 are perfect for the street, a little soft for serious tracking. Whatever you choose you should find someone local with them on the car and go for a test drive.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Just as S2ka has said, find someone local and try to get a ride. I have the bilstein PSS(b14) and iam very content with it. It is firmer than stock and rides a little more "german like". I have them paired with eibach adjustable sways so weight transition is to my liking. The car is a weekender that will see realistically 2-3 track days a year if that. If you are on a strict budget, these coilovers cant be beat. At the track they handled perfectly fine, no weird movements/noises, it was stock like almost but with better composure, I can see where if you got serious about attending more track events that these coils will be too soft for r-compound tires/competition. In my case they fit the bill perfectly and have the option to be rebuilt/revalved to become a serious damper. The quality is spot on and has a reputable company backing it.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Thanks both of you for the response, yeah the cars never going to be a serious track car im more interested in finding the balance between track car and daily driver. Im from central jersey so the roads are pretty horrendous not that i care about my personal comfort but the car needs to be able to handle the unexpected large pot-hole as good as possible. Anyone here from new jersey who'd be willing to give me a ride it'd be more than appreciated unfortunately I have no friends who have a passion for cars like mine haha. Car with always be on summer street tires, blizzaks for the winter, so r-tyres will never meet this car. Should i consider wheel and tire size before deciding on coils? Suspension is 100% stock right now going real slow with this build.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Then it seems that you are in the same boat as I. It seems that the bilstein pss or pss9 would definitely be for you since you will be dealing with rough roads with your daily driver. Nothing else in its price range will come close in terms of quality and ride feel and all the reviews will attest to that. The only negative side is that IF you do plan to compete/attend more HPDE's (which you said you will not) the spring rates on the bilsteins are on the softer side and most will swap those out. As long as you pick a tire/wheel size that is within reason (even a 255/40 non-staggered setup) will be perfectly fine, but of course expect to roll your fenders if you get too crazy with the wheel size. What size do you plan to run? If you wanted to go on the more "track ready" setup but is still daily driveable the KW V3 is definitely considered the upgrade, though expect a slightly stiffer ride over the bilsteins and your wallet to be about 500-600$ lighter. Ive been on kw v3s and in my experience they rode just as good, but then again the roads over here are real smooth and not even close to what Jersey has. They were very compliant but you could definitely tell the spring rates were stiffer, the upside is that you can adjust compression/rebound independently of eachother so you could tune to your liking. You should post up in the local subforums of s2ki and look for someone that can give you a ride, im sure theres someone in your part of the woods that has em.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 AM

I have had stock, Megan Street Series and now my PSS9 Coilovers. The Bilsteins ride better than stock. My car is also at its lowest on the Bilsteins and the ride quality is still better. After playing with tire pressures and firmness of them I have got to where the car feels very composed and balanced. I feel these were worth every penny especially for a car that is only driven on the street. I have no experience with these on a track.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
Then it seems that you are in the same boat as I. It seems that the bilstein pss or pss9 would definitely be for you since you will be dealing with rough roads with your daily driver. Nothing else in its price range will come close in terms of quality and ride feel and all the reviews will attest to that. The only negative side is that IF you do plan to compete/attend more HPDE's (which you said you will not) the spring rates on the bilsteins are on the softer side and most will swap those out. As long as you pick a tire/wheel size that is within reason (even a 255/40 non-staggered setup) will be perfectly fine, but of course expect to roll your fenders if you get too crazy with the wheel size. What size do you plan to run? If you wanted to go on the more "track ready" setup but is still daily driveable the KW V3 is definitely considered the upgrade, though expect a slightly stiffer ride over the bilsteins and your wallet to be about 500-600$ lighter. Ive been on kw v3s and in my experience they rode just as good, but then again the roads over here are real smooth and not even close to what Jersey has. They were very compliant but you could definitely tell the spring rates were stiffer, the upside is that you can adjust compression/rebound independently of eachother so you could tune to your liking. You should post up in the local subforums of s2ki and look for someone that can give you a ride, im sure theres someone in your part of the woods that has em.
currently the car sits on way too heavy tsw's (came with the car) 255/35/18 in the rear and 225/40/18 up front. I'm actually already looking for a fender roll soon since i'm sick of constantly cleaning the dirt off the side of the car. I'm still undecided on wheels keep changing my mind. originally were looking to get rpf1's with 245 all around but now i'm thinking more 255 all around but which wheels im not sure, most likely i'll be putting them on 17x9.5 but again i'm still undecided and it'll be a little time before i have the money for a new set of rollers. so i havn't researched tire sizing on this car too much more or less just scratched the tip of the ice berg
Old 01-15-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The PSS9s are great for the street. Ride much better than OEM suspension. I have been through 2 sets on 2 different S2000s. Although, if you can pay a bit extra, I say go for KW V3s.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:33 AM

If I got Blistein PSS B14 and upgraded to 17" wheels, will my fenders rub? I just want to avoid making changes to my fenders, eliminate as much gap as possible, and not hurt the handling of my car. Basically, I want it all. lol

Link to coilovers: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...170317133011:s
Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by minubaba
If I got Blistein PSS B14 and upgraded to 17" wheels, will my fenders rub? I just want to avoid making changes to my fenders, eliminate as much gap as possible, and not hurt the handling of my car. Basically, I want it all. lol

Link to coilovers: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...170317133011:s
It depends on which 17" wheels you are going with, if you are sticking with stock S2000 wheels (AP2V1/V2/V3) then you will be fine. If you get a set of 17" wheels in S2000 friendly offsets (17x9 +60 or so) you will also be fine. If you get something with a lower offset (like the popular 17x9 +45 Enkei RPF1) then you will need to roll your fenders.

That being said, I bought my Bilstein PSS9's last year, and as many have said they are great on the street, but a little soft for serious track action. That being said, you can track them, and they will handle better than OEM, and in my opinion, at their price point they are the best coilovers money can buy. If you really want something that will be great on both street and track, you have to jump up to nearly double the price for Ohlins or KW's.

Quick Reply: bilstein coilovers your review