S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

bilstein coilovers your review

Old 03-18-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

In that price range you have two options.

Bilstein pss

or

koni/ground control

pss9 adjuster is sub par. But the basic bilstein monotube is very good. I would say it's an improvement over stock, which is no easy feat. This would be my choice for a mostly street car.

if you plan on tracking regularly, go with Koni and gc with 450lb springs or higher. The yellows work surprisingly well, and has an impressive range of adjustment. Even after a season on my Ohlins dfv, I still say the konis are very good.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

I bought my Bilsteins specifically for track days and a "set it up for fasy, leave it there, and just drive mentality."

From its core, components, and design it's a quality shock, but is valved too softly from the factory. That said, the internals, and and use of a piggy back reservoir means that it can support a wide range of digressive valving and also not have rear shock travel issues due to use of the piggy back.

I bought a used set and had it sent to a reputable builder and rebuild/valved to be set at a "90% as fast as penske-8300s in 95% of encountered road/track conditions" (he also customizes 8300s).

The adjusters are useless on the PSS9 (I'd stick with the PSS over the PSS9, especially if you go custom).

I specifically wanted a non-adjustable coil-over designed and capable of going fast if used and driven correctly. The Bilstein is exactly that. It's really easy to buy a $5k 3-way coilover, setup poorly, and have it handle worse than stock. I wanted to avoid all of that by having a pro set it up for me, lock it there, corner- balance, align, and just worry about driving.

Having riden on track in cars equipped with KWv3, Tein SRC, Eibach R2s, and HKS Hypermax III, I'm happy with my choice for custom bilsteins. It's perfect for my uses, which is around 70/30 track/street. Right now, the limitation is me as a driver, not the shock.

As far as feel, it has made my car extremely communicative without making it jarring or compromising for street use. I can catch slides so much easier and reaction so much quicker with just the right amount of correction due to knowing exactly what the chassis is doing. They're awesome and helped my progress to the next level of driving psychologically. Before, i used to worry about losing grip in the rear, now i'm confident that i can catch the vast majority of slides, and thus I'm willing to push a bit harder at the track and begin exploring the time that im leaving on the table.