S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Bilstein PSS (and possibly PSS9) height and ride quality

Old 09-27-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS (and possibly PSS9) height and ride quality

I've recently installed Bilstein PSS coilovers, and have been playing with the ride height a bit. Something I've noticed is that there is a substantial difference in how smooth the ride quality when you set it at or right above the maximum recommend height. For example, if the rear is set 10mm higher than the maximum (max is 215mm, so 225mm, about a 3 finger gap) and the front is at max (345mm, about 3 finger gap also) it rides very smooth. My guess is it has to do something with preloading the springs since there is no adjustable preload normally. My question is, would I be likely to damage the suspension at all by running it a bit higher than it's max height spec?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kshawn
I've recently installed Bilstein PSS coilovers, and have been playing with the ride height a bit. Something I've noticed is that there is a substantial difference in how smooth the ride quality when you set it at or right above the maximum recommend height. For example, if the rear is set 10mm higher than the maximum (max is 215mm, so 225mm, about a 3 finger gap) and the front is at max (345mm, about 3 finger gap also) it rides very smooth. My guess is it has to do something with preloading the springs since there is no adjustable preload normally. My question is, would I be likely to damage the suspension at all by running it a bit higher than it's max height spec?
Preloading a spring has no effect on rate, even with the helper springs (the helper is a very low rate and will be fully compressed any time the car is on the ground). Likely the extra preload is getting you further from the bumpstops. The rear damper on the s2000 is very short to begin with, combined with a lower ride height the majority of aftermarket dampers tend to ride bumpstops. By preloading the springs you are becoming further away from the bumpstop. There is no issue whatsoever running a bit of extra preload.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't see how it'd damage the damper, and like yessamgerg mentioned, your ride quality is getting better because you're getting away from the bumpstops and giving yourself much more bump travel. The PSS/PSS9 springs are very soft, so you need this travel to not be riding hard on the bumpstops at all times.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

How close to stock ride height is a three finger gap?

Can you achieve stock ride height with PSS? I've seen this asked, but never really answered.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by DefSport
I can't see how it'd damage the damper, and like yessamgerg mentioned, your ride quality is getting better because you're getting away from the bumpstops and giving yourself much more bump travel. The PSS/PSS9 springs are very soft, so you need this travel to not be riding hard on the bumpstops at all times.
Okay awesome, and that definitely makes sense. I lowered it back down to about 10mm below max, which was about 3" from the top of the rim to the fender (Which was a two finger gap for me) and it rode quite poorly. I felt like I was bouncing all over the place. I'm going to bring it back to where it was before then. And I imagine then that if I did want to have that lower ride height while maintaining good ride quality, I would need to buy stiffer springs?

And as as far as the ride height at a 3 finger gap, I think that's pretty close to the stock ride height. Probably just a tad below. It's about 4" from rim to fender if that helps. I didn't measure the stock distance before I installed the Bilsteins, so if anyone knows the stock suspension distance from fender to rim top on an AP2 I'd appreciate knowing too.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:19 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I just went out to garage and measured.

My '06 has its stock suspension. 130k miles, if that has any indication of possible sag over time and use.

My garage has a decent amount of slope, but for this purpose I think it should be level enough.

The wheels are stock. Tires stock sizes and new (not that tires should have any real impact here).

Gap, rim to fender, as measured to fender metal itself (fender liner and rear lip rubber are not included in these measurements.):

Front: 5"
Rear: 4.75"
Old 09-29-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

As another data point for you, I recently measured ride height for my stock '06 w/97K on an alignment pad. Measurement taken ground to the furthest forward / rearward points on the frame rails. Results:

Left Front: 4.875" Right Front: 5"

Left Rear: 5.125" Right Rear: 5.25"
Old 10-01-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I just went out to garage and measured.

My '06 has its stock suspension. 130k miles, if that has any indication of possible sag over time and use.

My garage has a decent amount of slope, but for this purpose I think it should be level enough.

The wheels are stock. Tires stock sizes and new (not that tires should have any real impact here).

Gap, rim to fender, as measured to fender metal itself (fender liner and rear lip rubber are not included in these measurements.):

Front: 5"
Rear: 4.75"
Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
As another data point for you, I recently measured ride height for my stock '06 w/97K on an alignment pad. Measurement taken ground to the furthest forward / rearward points on the frame rails. Results:

Left Front: 4.875" Right Front: 5"

Left Rear: 5.125" Right Rear: 5.25"
Thank you both for measuring and posting, it helped a lot, and I'm sure anyone searching in the future will appreciate it too. Based on my measurements, a 3 finger gap for me/my car puts the distance from rim to fender at 4.5" at all four wheels. This is with the front suspension at the max 345mm, and the rear at 225mm, 10mm above the max. I'm definitely enjoying the ride quality, and the slight drop looks better too. I also have no issue going up steep driveways or speed bumps. I think reaching the stock ride height would be possible if so desired.

Last edited by Kshawn; 10-01-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Here's how to measure ride heights from the service manual, it may be of some help:

FWIW, I ran the rear ride height slightly above the maximum recommended by Bilstein on my PSS9s with no problems at all over 50k miles.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I'm a big fan of the PSS and I am very sensitive to overly harsh rides and definitely sensitive to any bounciness. To me the PSS is the perfect coilover system for my setup, the ride is superb. I have to double check my measurements but I am about 1.25 inches 1 lower than stock, maybe 1.5 to 2 finger gap, and I couldn't be happier, with the ride quality. I have a 2002 ap1 and I honestly find the PSS ride better and less harsh than stock, and zero bounciness, it is very refined. I would never switch back to stock. I find it to be very compliant.

Most people buying coilovers look to lower the ride a bit, so I don't know anyone who is increasing the height above the recommended spec. I would double check your installation as the ride should not be as you describe with that coilover system IMO. That sounds odd.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS (and possibly PSS9) height and ride quality