S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Bilstein PSS (and possibly PSS9) height and ride quality

Old 10-04-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I'm a big fan of the PSS and I am very sensitive to overly harsh rides and definitely sensitive to any bounciness. To me the PSS is the perfect coilover system for my setup, the ride is superb. I have to double check my measurements but I am about 1.25 inches 1 lower than stock, maybe 1.5 to 2 finger gap, and I couldn't be happier, with the ride quality. I have a 2002 ap1 and I honestly find the PSS ride better and less harsh than stock, and zero bounciness, it is very refined. I would never switch back to stock. I find it to be very compliant.

Most people buying coilovers look to lower the ride a bit, so I don't know anyone who is increasing the height above the recommended spec. I would double check your installation as the ride should not be as you describe with that coilover system IMO. That sounds odd.
Initially I had planned on lowering it a bit, but it seemed like it was too all over the place. Like it was too soft. The big issue for me was that every large bump made the car rock from side to side. I like how flat the car normally handles and someone said that lowering it changes the roll center, so that makes sense. As far as installation goes, I'm fairly sure that I did it correctly. The only think I wasn't sure on was how tight to make the top nut on the top hats. I snugged it down very tight, it's possible too tight.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

25LB-FT
Old 10-07-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Firstly I'm not expert of s2000 suspension geometry, but know something how suspension geometry works. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Lowering doesn't just affect to roll center. It also affects to toe and also how much toe changes when suspension moves (bump steer). Lowering might affect to camber also. Bump steer might be cause why you struggled with bumps. There are bump steer correction kits available to front and rear. I don't know how much lowering is needed that you need bump steer correction kit. Also rear bump steer is different between ap1 and ap2.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

I've had my PSS for a couple years now, lowered the ride by about 1.25 inches max, and I've never felt the ride hitting the bumpstops, they still have lots of travel as long as you don't go wild with the drop. I can't explain why raising the ride above the recommended setting feels softer, but it isn't due to the bumpstops engaging at the lowered ride height. There must be something else at play there.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I've had my PSS for a couple years now, lowered the ride by about 1.25 inches max, and I've never felt the ride hitting the bumpstops, they still have lots of travel as long as you don't go wild with the drop. I can't explain why raising the ride above the recommended setting feels softer, but it isn't due to the bumpstops engaging at the lowered ride height. There must be something else at play there.
With a 1.25" drop, you are almost definitely engaging bumpstops pretty much every day (rear suspension).

Measure. You'll be surprised.

Raising them will make them feel softer exactly because you're not engaging bumpstop as often.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:56 PM

I'm thinking of picking a set up, not to take away from the thread, anyone seen them cheaper than a $1k?
Old 02-04-2018, 05:28 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you do any track days with your car on the PSS coilovers?
Old 03-11-2018, 02:45 PM

I’ve read the thread a couple of times. One person asked if it lowered the car. I’m not sure anyone answered. This is the system I want but I don’t want my car lower at all. At max setting, is this lower than stock?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
Do you do any track days with your car on the PSS coilovers?
I autocrossed my PSS9 on stock rates for about a year. They felt okay, but in fast transitions, you could definitely feel the rear rolling bump stop to bump stop, and occasionally, especially over high grip/rough surfaces, the rears would pack up and not rebound fast enough, resulting in some unpredictable handling - tank slappers.

I went to 9k/8k Swift springs after seeing how overvalved they come from the factory and seeing the low low speed force they have. It helped immensely with turn-in and body roll. And believe it or not, the ride and handling actually improved. They were still soft for track use, but great on a dual duty car.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

So you didn't have the pss revalved, just swapped in stiffer springs? And the damper seems to be handling it ok?

These the damping adjustable pss9, right?

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS (and possibly PSS9) height and ride quality