S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Bilstein PSS or PSS9?

Old 09-20-2010, 04:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS or PSS9?

Long story short, AutoPartsWarehouse.com has the PSS for $792 shipped, and PSS9 for $1161 shipped after using 10% coupon code SAVEMORE.

I wanted to know if you guys think the adjustability is worth the extra $369. My car is 99% street driven and may see some autocross action a few times a year. In reality I probably won't really adjust the suspension much if at all; I just want something that will be lower and handle better than stock. I like the Bilsteins because for the price, they seem like the highest quality option out there, and the spring rates aren't crazy and match the CR F/R ratios somewhat.

SO I'm torn between the PSS for $792 or PSS9 for $1161. Thoughts guys??
Old 09-20-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the money for the PSS9 then get those. For me its a no brainer.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

dont be cheap. be patient, save, and get the pss9s. you'll be happier in the long run.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:47 PM

How low can you drop the car with PSS9s?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

really? this thread is 5 down from this one.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=812895
Old 09-21-2010, 03:53 AM

I really don't care about slamming the car. Been there done that and it's no fun bottoming out everywhere you go on a daily driven vehicle. I just want a nice, clean stance and better handling...nothing crazy.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 AM

I went with the PSS and am perfectly happy with them.

90% of drivers don't really need adjustable shocks unless they just like to turn knobs for fun. And the other 10% that do need adjustable shocks will be disappointed that the knobs don't really do what they think they do in MOST budget coilover setups.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Matt,

I think you'd be pleased with the PSS setup. I did a lapping day and about 1 week of daily driving on my PSSs before pulling them off to be revalved.

For daily driving, the ride is similar to an early AP1 - decent support without bone jarring high-speed damping. The suspension transmits all of the right forces to the driver inputs, which maintains the connected feel of the chassis. The spring rates are low enough that you don't feel like you're driving a race car on the street. The suspension is not "locked down" and still moves a good amount, but that's OK.

For track use, they're still on the soft side. In transitions, you'll have to wait for the chassis to load the tires. The transient characteristics are on the slow side, but they are an improvement over the base S2000. Pairing these coilovers with some stiff anti-roll bars would improve the transient feel of the system.

I have read a decent amount about the PSS9 adjuster mechanism and do not think it would add much to the value of the setup. The PSS9 adjuster features 180 degrees of resolution between full soft and full stiff. I can't help but think consistency would be an issue with such a small amount of full-range resolution in the adjuster. Would setting each damper to ~8 net you the same damping characteristics at all four corners? That's the main reason I chose the PSS dampers over the PSS9 option. Whether this point is valid...well, it would take some research on a shock dyno to answer that question.

The 11th place trophy in the SCCA STR national competition went to an S2000 owner with custom PSS9 coilovers. When I asked him about valving a set for my car, he said there wouldn't be much difference between custom PSS dampers and the PSS9 dampers because the adjuster is more or less ignored (paraphrased, of course).

It's hard to beat a decent set of coilovers for $800 shipped. Just my two cents.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks dude, you've been a huge help. I think I'm going to go with the PSS + possibly sway bars (any recommendations for sway bars running a 225/255 setup?), and if I want more in the future I can always get them revalved.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably won't need a stiffer sway bar if you are still runninng less front tire than the rear.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS or PSS9?