S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Brake pad recommendations track day/weekend use

Old 03-08-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake pad recommendations track day/weekend use

Hi all.

I've done 2 track days in my s2k now (UK Cadwell and Rockingham) and love the hell out of it. Stock other than Grooved discs, EBC yellows all round and ATE superblue fluid.

This is the setup I went for as it's the same setup I have had previously on an S15 which I took to the Nurburgring twice and was totally happy with. Stick with what you know and all that.

Now, after only these 2 track days I've completely killed the pads and unfortunately, the discs too. I never saw wear this harsh on the setup on my S15, but I did work the brakes very hard and because I wasn't worrying about turbo heat management anymore, I was staying out for longer sessions that I had previously. Anyway, I digress.

I'm planning on sticking with the same half grooved discs, but I'm interested in trying a different pad, the yellows are all I've ever used in the last 10 years of me doing track/drift. Can anyone give me ideas on what to try out? I'm thinking of trying Carbone Lorraine or Ferrodo ds2500's at the moment, or even branching out to some of the more unique Japanese ones like Endless or Image. Equally I don't want to be spending loads on them, especially if they only last me 2 track days on the s2k!

What have you used previously and what are your experiences with them? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_F
Hi all. I've done 2 track days in my s2k now (UK Cadwell and Rockingham) and love the hell out of it. Stock other than Grooved discs, EBC yellows all round and ATE superblue fluid. This is the setup I went for as it's the same setup I have had previously on an S15 which I took to the Nurburgring twice and was totally happy with. Stick with what you know and all that. Now, after only these 2 track days I've completely killed the pads and unfortunately, the discs too. I never saw wear this harsh on the setup on my S15, but I did work the brakes very hard and because I wasn't worrying about turbo heat management anymore, I was staying out for longer sessions that I had previously. Anyway, I digress. I'm planning on sticking with the same half grooved discs, but I'm interested in trying a different pad, the yellows are all I've ever used in the last 10 years of me doing track/drift. Can anyone give me ideas on what to try out? I'm thinking of trying Carbone Lorraine or Ferrodo ds2500's at the moment, or even branching out to some of the more unique Japanese ones like Endless or Image. Equally I don't want to be spending loads on them, especially if they only last me 2 track days on the s2k! What have you used previously and what are your experiences with them? Thanks.
The best advice I can give you is to figure what temperatures you are running in your braking system then you can decide which pads are best for you.

But I can say use square pads same compound front and back.

Currently I'm running hawk dtc 60s and they are fairly in expensive and have a crap tone of performance.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:40 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

You may find this thread in the UK section useful: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...t__p__23172406

Most popular are Ferodo DS2500 and cheap blank discs - grooves are a bit of a waste of time in my experience and just mean more chance of cracking and higher pad wear.

Carbon Lorraines and Carbotechs are popular as well.

My personal favourites are the Dixcel Z pads which work nicely on the road (no squealing and no warm-up problems either) and are fantastic on track. I use RBF600 fluid too.

And yes, the S2000 just doesn't overheat so you can do long sessions.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

The accelerated wear is definitely due to getting that pad outside of it's temp comfort zone. If you like the EBC Yellows on the street, then run them on the street and swap to a pad for the track. I don't think you will be able to get away with a street/track pad on this car.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a pad that will provide reliable operation for daily driving and a performance increase over OEM for the track, I'd recommend the Stoptech Street Performance pads. They also produce less dust and noise than other aftermarket pads. You could pair them with Stoptech slotted rotors for an awesome track/daily setup!

You can check out pricing and details about these items on our website:
http://hoa.excelerateperformance.com...i-1886588.aspx
Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
I'd recommend the Stoptech Street Performance pads. They also produce less dust and noise than other aftermarket pads.

I found they dusted just as much as HP+ and my Performance friction race pads
Old 03-10-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

^You're probably confusing HP+ with HPS.

The HP+ will dust like CRAZY on the street.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:30 PM

Stoptech SP's are noise free and they dust about as much as a HPS pad. The dust is also not corrosive.

I don't recommend ANY intermediate pads, really. Just switch out for track use and switch back for street use.

I swap to carbotechs with their own dedicated rotors for track days. I use powerstops or stoptechs on the street simply for better brake feel than stock. I can't see anyone overheating stock pads even during agressive street driving.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
^You're probably confusing HP+ with HPS.

The HP+ will dust like CRAZY on the street.
nope I was talking about HP+
Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Hmm. If you're comparing HP+ to stoptech SP....

On the track, they both probably dust as much as each other. The stoptechs dust dramatically less on the street when the transfer layer is gone.

Quick Reply: Brake pad recommendations track day/weekend use